A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Saturday, January 25, 2014

It Takes a Village to Stay Put

We watched the news last night on NBC. Brian Williams interviewed his in-laws about Staying Put....the program that allows people to stay in their own homes as they age.Joe said, "That's what I want... to stay put." Brian's father in law seemed a little more needy...as his wife has a job volunteering with this program in their town.They, like many of us, want to remain in their own homes. It was a very interesting interview If you are interested in seeing the interview...here's the link. http://dailynightly.nbcnews.com/
and here's the link to the Staying Put organization explaining it a little more. http://www.stayingputnc.org/about.html If you think that this is a long way off for you....think again, it's just around the corner. Time goes so fast and before you know it...you are there.

I watched a good movie the other day. Tuesdays With Morrie. I had read the book a few years ago, but I hadn't seen the movie.This is a great movie for our younger people, who are so wrapped up in their jobs and acquiring "things" that they feel they need to be successful. This is the story of Mitch Albom who had a mentor in college...Morrie Schwartz. He was one of Morrie's favorite students and when he graduated, Mitch promised to get in touch with Morrie often. Well, that didn't happen... with Mitch's busy life as a sports writer. The story goes on to where he does finally visit Morrie.. after hearing that Morrie was dying from ALS, and how Morrie affects Mitch's life through  their weekly visits.I felt like ordering this movie to send to one in our family whose job drives him crazy....but I didn't. 

This morning is so sunny...the shadows of tree trunks are on our snowy lawn. The squirrel was first here...no seed. He looked up at me in the window and I felt guilty. I'm going to get dressed and go out now to fill the feeder. Hope he comes back.
Balisha

5 comments:

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

ha ha ha I just posted a pic of the squirrels on my porch over at Homespun this morning...they were getting in line for their peanuts! :)

I remember that movie...I watched it years ago. A very touching movie.

Balisha said...

I saw thoss squirrels...cute post...Mine hasn't come back yet!

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Balisha..I'm back again...I feel like I'm peddling as fast as I can. Lots going going health wise with PH. Eye surgery, second knee giving out and had to have shots. That sort of thing.
We will stay where we are..IF we can. I am going to watch the show you menioned..and thank you for the link! It's only been lately that I've seen a change in myself as well..and it's troublesome.
I read that Joe is doing well..thank heavens! WE don't realize how much the other spouse is doing until they cannot do it anymore. We worry about Howard being able to drive much longer.
We talked about it today..what a depressing thought not to be able to drive.
YOu are right..to those in their early 50's..and younger..even early 60's..we think certain aging needs are far away..and they are not!
Love to you both.
Mona

Balisha said...

We have a yearly membership to a recreation center. We have been swimming three times a week and will start up again when Joe gets his Dr. ok.
It will probably be a couple of months yet, so that's why I need a new suit.
Balisha

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

I pray my parents can stay put until the good Lord calls them home, but life often brings us to curves in the road and we are forced to make decisions we'd rather not make.

Thanks for this thought-provoking post.