A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Friday, January 24, 2014

Frigid Friday

The afternoon called for a cup of hot tea. English Breakfast Tea is my favorite...the decaf. A mild tea with no bitterness...warm and soothing after a morning of flitting in and out of stores while Joe was in therapy. The wind was blowing fiercely (here I go again with the weather...just can't help it as it is a big part of our lives this winter) I had my long down coat on with a red knitted scarf (by moi) around my neck...red knitted hat (by moi) and  black leather gloves. I had to go to Church first....parked in the parking lot and slid across to the sidewalk...it's a longish walk to the office, and just as I was about to head over to the long sidewalk, someone came out of the Sanctuary and told me to take a short cut this morning....through the quiet Sanctuary. There were two people there with heads bowed. I was quiet as a mouse...dipping my fingers into the Holy Water as I went out the door to the office. We had ordered flowers in memory of Tim and our 1st spouses and I had to drop a check off. There was a prayer shawl in a bag there, for Joe. He wondered why someone made him a prayer shawl.... When they begin to knit a shawl they say a prayer and prayers are said throughout the knitting of the piece. When it is finished another prayer is said for the person receiving it. Prayers of a good recovery were said for Joe. As I went out the door, this time taking the long way, a gust of wind blew me along until I reached the car.
The next stop was the grocery. We needed several things. The parking lot was not very full. People had heard that schools would be closing early and several businesses were closing too, because of the wind. They asked if I wanted help out to the car. I just couldn't make anyone go out on a day like this...I said no thank you. On windy days the carts are flying all over the lot, so I took my cart over to the place where they keep them outside.
Then a stop at the bank and on to get Joe. I had another stop at the drug store, but waited till I got him.
When I came in the house...my forehead was so cold and red.Even with a down coat... it took me forever to warm up. I started dinner...clam chowder and sandwiches. We ate and I put the groceries away and laid down on the couch to rest. What a windy morning....I'm in for the weekend...except for bringing in the mail...I'll be in my warm house.
I'm afraid that I have neglected my little bird friends this winter. When I feed them, I just toss some seed in the tray and leave. No special treats for these guys...like dried fruit, peanuts, etc. It's kind of a treacherous walk to the feeders...the snow is hard and I walk on top of it and slide around. Someday, when it's warmer...I'm going to chop a few holes for my feet...but till then, they will have to be satisfied with what they get.
Yesterday about this time, someone rang the doorbell. It was UPS delivering something for me. The bag was so cold and so was the article of clothing inside. A swimsuit! One of the coldest days of the year, and I had ordered a swimsuit. Joe said, "Why don't you try it on?" I told him the suit was freezing cold...I would wait till later. Well, it warmed up and I disappeared to try it on. Hmmmm....same size as the other one I ordered, but it didn't fit.I'm tall and I guess I need to buy one that has a long torso. You might wonder why I took a chance and ordered on online. I had good luck with the other one, and thought I would with this one. It would save me from having to run all over creation.. looking for a swimsuit....I've done that before. So, I'll have to send it back...I found another today and ordered it...taking another chance on an online order.This will be the last one I'll order...if it doesn't work out...I'll head for the mall. I have one suit that I wear every time, so I wanted another to trade off.
Well, guess I should go. Good TV tonight...do you watch Bluebloods? It's one of our favorites. The acting is so good and the story lines aren't the typical police show. A Catholic family of policemen who always end the show...sitting around the family dinner table eating, while in conversation with the different ages represented there. Good family values are taught around that table.
Joe has the weather on in the other room....I think I will hibernate this weekend...Sounds like a weekend of very bad weather.
Balisha

7 comments:

prince snow farm said...

Oh Balisha what a busy day. I love how you described it with such detail. I felt like I was right beside you! The cold and snow this winter is so treacherous everywhere! My nephew in Alabama had snow….unheard of! Stay safe….and perhaps invest in ice skates. And thanks for the description of the prayer shawl. I had never heard of one.

acorn hollow said...

We are in the deep freeze I too would love to stay in and wait for spring
Cathy

Judy said...

I used to and now my sister goes every Wednesday at the church to knit prayer lap blankets or shawls. It is not only a nice thing for the receiver to get, but the people that make them also feel good about it. I too am hibernating--have been since Wednesday--will continue to do so.

marlu said...

We watch Blue Bloods too and think it has great acting and stories.

You did have a busy day!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

There went Balisha-Blowing-Around :)

I love the prayer shawl story! :)

Balisha said...

I was blowing around...was looking for a flag pole to hang on to.
Balisha

Blondie's Journal said...

I'm watching our ten 'clock news and it looks like snow at 3:00 a.m., tonight (Saturday), and all weekend long. I just worry about everyone driving in it. I went out a bit yesterday with the wind but was in and out of the store.

I love the thought of a prayer shawl. How precious and thoughtful.

Not sure why you are looking for bathing suits now unless you head somewhere warm in the winter. I'm short but have a longer torso and short legs. I can't think offhand who caters to all of these body shapes but they are out there. Google!!

Tomorrow will be a very slow say...maybe some shoveling. You and Joe take care, snuggle up and have three warm meals!!

XO,
Jane