A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

What I've Been Up To

I've been out working in the yard the last couple of days. I got a big bag of composted manure, one of peat, one of topsoil, and threw in a bag of Miracle Grow potting mix that I had handy. I mixed it all in my lawn cart and struggled to push and pull it around the yard. I used this to amend the soil, when I planted my containers, hanging baskets, Easter lilies, Clematis vines etc. I still have lots left to use for further planting. This job was done yesterday, when it was cool. Today's weather has changed and today it will get to close to 90 deg. Too hot for much physical work in my garden. So, this morning I took my green chair and sat next to the clematis while I tied them up to the trellis. I counted them...and with the new ones, I have 11. I'll research a bit and tell you what varieties I have in a later post. I gave them a handful of granular time release fertilizer and watered it in. They are looking really good this year. Joe had a couple of big limbs cut from the River Birch...that will let a little more sun in for them.
I went back to the woods and it is dandelion heaven back there. I don't know where they all came from :) Tomorrow I'm going to use the weed whacker on them. I can't possibly kill them all with digging them or roundup, so this is the best I can do.



With the hot temps. today and tomorrow, the tulips will soon be gone, so I thought I would show a couple more pictures of them now. I had 3 bulbs left over last fall...and just stuck them in front of Mary. I wish I had taken more time with this area and made it prettier. I've been so happy with these tulips. I love the way they change colors as they blossom out and start to fade. I've never been a fan of parrot tulips, but these Angeliques are my favorite. Now I'm in the house...tired (the first hot day is always hard on me) but tomorrow I'll be fresh and out there again...doing my thing.

Balisha






6 comments:

Lona said...

Your tulips are so pretty. It is getting hot all at once but I will not say a word after all the moaning and complaining I have done this winter and spring.LOL! You do have a few clematis vines don't you? LOL!

Margie's Musings said...

Everything looks so pretty, Balisha!

acorn hollow said...

still cool here. You plantings look lovely. I am going to make a mix like you did. I do not have that great of soil.
Cathy

Barbee' said...

Such sweet flowers! I think you have gotten a lot done.

Elenka said...

Those tulips are beyond belief!!! I always enjoy your blog, especially during the growing season. You are a wealth of information!

Anonymous said...

I have worked in the yard the past 2 days. It was 86 here today and I came in with sweat dripping off my nose and my clothes and hair wet. The humidity has been so bad. It seems we have gone right into summer! I am eat up with chiggers, too. lol. All your flowers and yard looks beautiful.