A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Three New Things for the Yard

Mockorange....Philadelphus "Minnesota Snowflake" Redbud... Cercis canandensis
Hibiscus syriacus...Red Althea

I have wanted more blooming shrubs in the woods. I already planted a Crabapple, Redbud, Lilac, Korean Spice Viburnum, and various vines and plants. Every fall I scatter more wildflower seeds.I really enjoy seeing the woods in bloom from the house and now I'm paying attention to colors that show up from a long distance. Keeping this in mind, I went shopping. I bought these three varieties. I already have a Redbud, but since it is my favorite tree...I wanted to put one on the opposite side of the woods. My little tree is just about to open. I had a Red Althea years ago. We called it a Rose of Sharon. Big hollyhock type flowers.. tissue paper thin...so pretty. I remember a Mock Orange, when I was growing up in Sunset Park. It was outside our window and filled the house with it's perfume. I think that we sometimes plant things that we remember from our past. I know that I do.
Our Azalea is full of plump buds right now. It is a pinky red color and is planted close to the house. A couple of years ago we noticed that it was heaving out of the ground. It had never really amounted to much, but we wanted to give it a second chance. Joe replanted it...setting it in deeper and that made all the difference in the world. It has really taken off. Hopefully the cold night ahead won't harm this beauty. I just went out and covered it. It's the only plant in our yard that I covered, but every year it gets hit with frost and is spoiled. I think that we should pay attention to our changing weather, when we buy shrubs for our yards. I used to say that I wanted nothing fussy in my yard...nothing that would need special care. Since growing older...I have changed. I have more time to fuss with plants and really don't mind the extra attention some of them require. Roses in particular. I would love a garden full of Roses...they always catch my eye. In the house....Orchids, I just have to study them to find out how to treat them. I hope to get these new shrubs in the ground tomorrow. The spring rains will keep them watered. Next year...we may have something new to watch.
Balisha

5 comments:

Barbee' said...

I have wanted a Mock Orange for a long time, but can't figure out where to put it. I've about run out of room. The house across the street has a large one. I guess I will just enjoy theirs.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Balisha - my first Spring and I am planting a lot at the edge of the woods. I have beautiful Redbud trees in the woods. Brought a piece of Althea from the city that had been there for years. It thrived and is full of leaves.
With this woods home - I vowed to plant less and not clean the woods.
I am not doing to good of a job:)
But it is what I love to do.

Patsy said...

Love your spring yard, did you find out about the lily. Mine has 8 blooms on it now.I just hope that is not the last of it.
Patsy

Noelle Johnson said...

Hello Balisha,

I love the flower of the Minnesota Snowflake. I can see why they are called that, the flowers are so big. I am not a fussy gardener, but do have a soft spot for roses, so I do 'fuss' over them :-)

Tolentreasures said...

I just love flowering shrubs and am hoping to get some in soon esp. since this is the last month with an r until September. I better get on it fast! Can't wait to see how all yours bloom!

Cathy