A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Monday, February 15, 2010

Collin Comes for a Visit

Grandson, Collin spent the night at our house. We had several plans to keep busy. We watched the Olympics...he loves the snowboarding and was very interested in the luge. We played Jenga and Dominoes. He then proceeded to start building helicopters, and buildings with the wooden pieces on the coffee table while we watched the Olympics. We were all tired and went to bed at 10. I woke early this morning and Joe had errands to do. Collin slept in...I couldn't wait for him to wake up. I made some noise which helped wake him up. He had breakfast and then we made cookies. He had brought a mix along with him for sugar cookies. I let him do most of the preparation. He loves to cook. Very good with the rolling pin and he selected a star shaped cookie cutter to use. We decided to frost them and I told him to pick out the two colors that he wanted them to be. He picked turquoise blue and purple. We had two bowls...he made the blue and gave me the purple. The purple turned out to be just a darker shade of blue...so I added red...now I had brown. He laughed at my color. We added some of his blue to mine and it ended up looking somewhat purple.

What would cookies be without sprinkles? He sprinkled them all. We left them to harden on my rack. He had enough to sample...what with drips and crumbs and sticky fingers.

We stacked them in a foil pan and got them ready for him to take home. What a good time we had with little mess. We watched more Olympics...snowboarding was on and then got ready for an early dinner. He laughed at the time for dinner....Joe and I eat dinner around 3 and have a snack at night...unusual for this kid. After cleanup Collin and I went downstairs and got my gardening supplies ready for indoor seed planting. He advised me on using the pots with compressed peat. He said that they took him forever to absorb water, so he broke them up. It took a long time to get them moistened. We planted a tray of perennials and my geraniums. It was too early to do any of the others. It was a very relaxed day...he could do what he wanted, he had all of our attention, no cell phones, or other electronics. I really think that it's good for kids to get away from their siblings and be the "only child" if only for the day.

No comments: