A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Thursday, July 31, 2008




I have waited all summer for these Cannas to bloom. They were a mistake, but fit OK in the spot that I selected. The pointed green shoot came out of the ground and they grew by leaps and bounds. I don't think that I have enjoyed watching something grow so much before. I tend to like small things, but I have grown to love the huge beautiful leaves. I watched them grow each day. Love the way the leaves look when they are wet. I have actually watched the rain coming down and trickling down off of them.
. The inside of the whorled leaves fills with water. The insects leave them alone...or so I thought. Now pay close attention to the bottom picture. Day before yesterday the leaves were perfect....now a day later..they are riddled with holes. Lacy leaves and you know who the culprit is....the Japanese Beetle. I haven't seen them in the yard lately and thought those pesky critters were gone. I was wrong. I got my spray bottle with Simple Green and sprayed the *%#@* bugs. This morning no bugs on the Cannas, but they have moved on to the white lilies. Good grief.
Balisha
PS: We finished mowing at 9:30...it was 84 and humid when we started. Luckily the clouds came and with them a nice breeze. The rest of the day will be spent just relaxing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You win some, you lose some Balisha. I have that same Canna. I don't know the name of it do you? I've had the same problems with something mangling them before they even unfurl. Such a shame, they are so pretty.