A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008



We spent the day with an old friend from High School. He and his whole family were visiting from Colorado. We had a picnic at a park and enjoyed a catered box lunch. I remember box lunches from the "old days" We would have them at Church. The ladies would prepare their best lunch, put it in a decorated box and it would be auctioned off to the highest bidder. You then had to eat with the person who bought your lunch. The money went to the Ladies of the Church for supplies for their kitchen. The one with the fried chicken always seemed to be the favorite. I also had a box lunch on a train ride to Galena, Illinois. It was a special tour and my Mom and I boarded the train and were handed a box lunch. The lunch yesterday wasn't fancy. Just a hoagie sandwich, chips, brownie and a bottle of water. We were all so hungry...tasted good.

When we arrived and crossed the bridge into the park, we spotted a group of kids with their dog. The dog was a husky type dog. His tongue almost touched the ground...he was so thirsty. It was the hottest day of the year...so far...My hubby, the animal lover, was so worried about that dog not having any water. There was a creek nearby, but the dog was on a leash. The kids were drinking from their bottles, but none for the dog. As we started to eat...I saw, out of the corner of my eye, the dog dragging the kid to the water fountain. He jumped up and started licking the basin. The kids turned on the water and he drank forever.

The weather forecast is telling us that it will be in the 90's. I hope my grandkids can find some water to swim in today and the rest of the week. Reminds me of long ago, when there were no neighborhood pools. Mom would get our old galvanized wash tub up from the cellar and fill it with water....and I would just sit in it, in the shade of the tree. Sometimes my friend, Mary, would have her tub too. We would float our dolls in the water...drape an old army blanket over the clothesline and that would be our house. My Mom said that it would be the hottest day of the year and I would be under my old army blanket in the sun. We didn't notice the heat as much back then. Summer was hot and full of simple fun.

Balisha

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try to stay nice & cool today. Love the picture, is that your grandson in the water?

Balisha said...

That's our youngest. He just jumped off the boat, following his big brother. Got scared and then got up the courage to do it again, so we took the picture.

Judy said...

Your grandson is so cute in the water and I love box lunches. Reminds me of Loretta Lynn in the story about her box lunch where she put salt in the pie by mistake instead of sugar and her to be husband bought it and nearly choked to death on the first bite. My kids used to bath in a wash tub when we lived on the farm and they were little tykes.