A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Saturday, June 21, 2008

I woke up early this morning and decided to take my coffee out to the front porch. We have a narrow porch and at first didn't use it much at all. A couple of years ago, I decided to fix it up. I had some pretty cushions and some old quilts, so I set to work decorating. The chairs and bench have cushions and the quilt is over the back of the bench and one of the chairs. I moved a table from the back deck...put a homemade quilted piece on for a tablecloth and we had a new place to sit. It gets used more than the deck. We sit out there in the evening and watch everyone go by. Thursday night an elderly couple walked by and they commented on our flowers. We invited them to come closer and we found out that they are from England. We had a great conversation and I'm sure we will have many more. We would never have met them had it not been for the porch. When I was growing up we lived in a development that was built right after the war. Small cape cods with a stoop in the front. We gathered on that small stoop every night in the summer and visited with neighbors. We moved to a large (I believe it is called a foursquare house) later in the 50's with a big screened in front porch. My Mom took delight every year in planning what she would do to the porch to make it different. She had little money to work with, but she always made it so comfortable for us. I even slept on that porch in the summer, when my upstairs bedroom was too hot. (no air conditioning or ceiling fans) The night before my wedding a favorite aunt and cousin sat on the porch with us...looking forward to the festivities the next day. The next day found us on the porch...relaxed and cooling off on that hot July day. Porches were a way of life back then and I have missed them. This one is small, but we love it.
Balisha

No comments: