A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Where is Your Favorite Place to Read?

This is a replica of the chair that John F Kennedy used. I bought one at the same place where he used to buy his. It's a comfortable chair...if we could find a place for it.. near good lighting...I know I would sit there to read.
Where is or was your favorite reading spot? Where do you go to be all alone with your book? Is it possible for you to hide away and read? What gives you comfort while you read? A cup of tea, coffee, hot chocolate or a soda? Maybe nothing comes between you and your book.
My favorite reading spots and habits have changed through the years.

When I was a little girl...my first favorite spot was on a brown horsehair arm chair, with my Dad reading to me. He read me stories every night before he left for work. He was an animated reader...many times changing voices of the characters as he read along. As I grew up and learned to read myself...I enjoyed reading in my bedroom. I had a cushioned window seat, in the dormer, where I could while away the hours with a good book.My mother would say, "Why do you lie there all cramped up...when you can read downstairs in a comfortable chair?" She didn't know how I loved the window seat in the privacy of my room.  Later on, when my family started, it was hard to read for myself.I was reading cookbooks and newspapers. I mostly read to the kids...me sitting in a chair or lying on their bed while they listened to me reading. When the years followed, and I was an empty nester...I read lying down...on the couch or in bed before going to sleep.I had a little book light that I could clip on the book and read without disturbing my husband. Now, I find that my favorite spot has changed...I read where the light is good. I can hardly read lying down anymore....so I have found a place to read that is near a window or on the couch near an Ott lamp.In the summer I read magazines on my porch. Too many distractions to read books, but glancing at magazines...just fine. I read on the computer and find that my eyes get tired so fast...reading isn't quite the pleasure that it used to be. Now, don't get me wrong...I still love a good book and most times have one that I am reading. I'm more selective...don't waste my time reading something that I don't love.....I find that out early on and make a trip back to the library to find another. I see people reading in the library. I always wonder why....do they find peace there with no one to disturb them, do they not have a comfortable place at home to read, or do they read there to get out of the house and be around people? I see mostly men reading the newspaper there...older men my age. Is this a way to get out of the house and have a change of view? I'm  glad that there are comfortable chairs for people to use at the library...what ever their reason is for being there... I have books stacked in several places...I've been in homes where there are no books...and I wonder about that. I wish that everyone could have the love of books that I do....and a comfortable spot for  reading.
Balisha

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a lovely chair. I have a rocker near a sunny window and I like to read there during the daytime. Even though I don't cook much, I do enjoy thumbing thru cookbooks. Hope you have a nice afternoon.

Balisha said...

I have a picture of this chair in my home, but I lost my pictures when I had trouble with the blog and computer. So, until I can retrieve my pictures...I'll have to take new ones. Didn't have time today, so put one here from the internet.
Balisha

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

You are talking to my heart.
I love to read.
My favorite place in an old leather chair with a good lamp beside it and books surrounding me.
When growing up I can remember climbing a tree and reading or would find a secret place - it seems if my father saw me sitting still and reading he would say
"can't you find anything to do."
This made me sad..
I never read in bed unless a devotional or my bible. Go to bed early and usually pray until I fall asleep

Blondie's Journal said...

You always come up with the best topics. I'm an avid reader as well. My mother was and my sisters and I all followed suit. It was quite normal to find us all reading at the same time in the living room most evenings.

I read to my daughters quite a lot until they could read by themselves. They had a rocking chair in their room. My place for reading was always in the living room on the sofa after all the children were in bed. I never read during the day, I thought of it as loafing on the job! For the past few years I have been reading in bed...we have a ranch style house and the master bedroom is down a hall off the kitchen and living room so I don't feel cut off from everything. And at the lake I have a glider rocker that is SO comfy, I read there in the great room in front of the big windows so I can also see the lake. In the summer I like reading on the patio, at both houses, in the afternoon.

Phew! Never realized how I have all of these favorite places!! Ha!

XO,
Jane