A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Monday, June 3, 2013

Just a Tiny Seed


O Guardian Angel, cover me with thy wing;  O, Friend illumine my path. Direct my footsteps and be my protection, just for today.
~Saint Theses of Lisieux


Last year I bought some seeds from Renee's Garden. One of the packets held seeds for a mini rose. I hadn't heard of anyone planting and growing a rose bush...so I thought I would try it. I sprinkled the seeds in a clay pot and watched for seedlings. I only got one little plant out of that packet. 


I planted the little rose bush in the garden...right next to the driveway, so I could keep an eye on it. It grew...not with leaps and bounds, but very slowly. It made it through the winter and now, in the spring, it is blooming it's little head off. You can see how I protected it...with clay planters all around. It is quite a thorny little plant with teeny, tiny pink flowers. It was an experiment that turned out nicely.I don't know how long it will bloom...maybe only once...maybe all summer. I'll have to keep my eye on it and let you know.


Renee's Garden is such an interesting place to visit. There are so many unusual seeds shown there. Each flower, herb, or vegetable is shown in a delightful watercolor like... mini painting. I love to look at the pictures as much as I do some ordering. I don't grow very many plants from seed, but every year I try to pick out a new variety to try from this website. The site is easy to use and the seeds come promptly.

Today is sunny but cold. June 3rd and we are in cold weather...how crazy. What's up with the weather anyway? Grandson Collin is  working as a life guard at a pool...brrrrr. We've had a couple of graduations in the past couple of weeks. I'll have pictures when I get them. My son moved into a new house and doesn't have internet yet...so I'll have to wait a few days for those.

Joe is trying to cut out wheat in his diet. Dr. Oz had a cardiologist on his program last week, telling how wheat addiction is causing belly fat. We don't pay a lot of attention to Dr. Oz...just like to watch the show and maybe learn a little that we didn't know before. I feel if we took all the supplements that he talks about...we'd be taking them all day.....but this struck a note with Joe. Wheat grown and used today is the altered offspring of genetic manipulations that don't remotely resemble wheat consumed by our ancestors. 
Well, Joe is trying to eliminate wheat and so far in a little over a week...he's lost 6 lbs. This may sound like a fad diet, but if it works and he is able to lose weight and still be healthy...it's worth it. Maybe I should post some ways to live without wheat in the coming weeks. Just a thought.

I have some work to do in the kitchen and then I can go outside...I see some big weeds by the bird feeders that need to be pulled out. Joe just told me that the hummingbird feeder on the deck is down again. Our neighbor trapped a raccoon last week...we thought maybe this coon was the marauder who was stealing our feeders...guess not......unless he found his way back here lickety split.
Balisha 

6 comments:

Judy said...

I have read a lot of comments by people on Face Book who are doing the wheat elimination from their diet--they all are having great success and feel much better too. Good for Joe--it is never too late to take care of ourselves. I need to get out and check my gardens too--only 57 here today, but lots of sun. Weird weather for sure.

debra @ HOMESPUN said...

Ha HE is giving UP wheat and I felt all proud of myself that I recently baked some bread WITH whole wheat in it :)

Oh yea I thought I was the Health Queen that day :)

marlu said...

Isn't it amazing how healthy things change over time? Remember when margarine was supposed to be so much better than butter?
Not so much now. And who knew about wheat?
Lots of questions.

garden girl said...

I feel much better without wheat Balisha. I hope Joe does too.

garden girl said...

p.s. I love your sweet little roses. That's so cool you grew them from seeds. I love Renee's Garden too. I've met Renee, and she's a sweetheart.

Lona said...

Your roses are so pretty Balisha. I have never tried seeds before. You have a green thumb girl. LOL!

My blog address has changed to:
http://lonadawn7.blogspot.com/