A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Friday, April 19, 2013

Our New Lakefront Property

Thought I would show you what I talked about in my previous posts...The back of our property is wooded with a railroad track in the middle. The track is owned and well maintained by Commonwealth Edison and is used maybe twice a year to move things back and forth to the Byron Nuclear Plant. Beyond that track is more woods and then the highway. Just on the other side of the highway is a huge corn field. and then the Rock River. Normally, we can't see much of the river from out house. Remember that our lot is almost an acre with the house being the first thing on the lot and then the huge lawn beyond that... in the back. Where you see water in this picture is actually a corn field. The Rock has flooded all the way to the highway on all sides. That is why I teased that we now have lake front property.




The little shrubs belong to our neighbor...the big evergreen tree is ours.
The fence belongs to our other neighbor....where Audra lives

In the spring, the back trees leaf out and it is really pretty back there. I have maintained our portion of these woods for several years...I've had to cut down these last couple of years, because "ole rocking chair's got me" :). I have planted many little flowering trees and wild flowers. There are statues, bird houses and feeders, and a bench for us to sit on to enjoy the wildlife that comes here. It's a long walk from the house, so nowadays I don't walk back too many times a day.I wish that I had taken pictures when I moved here. It was full of barbed wire, fence posts, and some garbage. I went to work and cleared the trash out and made it what it is today.Soon, wildflowers will be back and birds will nest, the lake will be gone and the farmer will plant....and I will be happy.
Balisha

3 comments:

Christys Cottage Wildlife Garden said...

OMG...the water is so close! On a good note, your lawn sure is nice and green!

Blondie's Journal said...

Lakefront property...I love that! You really do have a pretty lot, your lawn is so green!

We had a lot of homes in our neighborhood get flooding in their basements. And some of the expressways were closed down yesterday. My daughter goes to school downtown and had to get alternate directions home. Then today, snow flurries!!!

Have a good weekend!

XO,
Jane

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I am so glad the water didn't come any closer to you. That's close enough.

Your lawn looks lush, and I look forward to seeing more distance pictures like this when things have filled out and are in bloom.

Have a lovely weekend ~
FlowerLady