A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Sunday, April 21, 2013

My Crafty Ways

 I couldn't get Joe to model my newest project...so I had to search for another model. My Vermont Teddy Bear, who usually sits on a shelf in the bedroom, had nothing to say about it.He sat so still for this picture. His mate in the bedroom was very jealous...I'll have to use him the next time.  I have been making these scarves called potato chip scarves. Reason for the name...they are so much fun....you can't make just one. It's a knitting pattern with lots of twists and turns, but easy once you catch on. I can do one of these and still watch TV, I had an abundance of this off white yarn and thought I'd make a white one. The other ones were much more colorful. This one will go nicely with all my winter coats.Maybe I should learn to knit mittens :) Right now I'm knitting a bright blue, loosely woven, scarf. I make lots of scarves and you  might think I have quite a collection to wear, but I give them away as fast as I make them. I think the whole family has a scarf or two...maybe mittens is a good idea...
 Candle mats are another thing that keep me busy. I made the bunny one a while back and now just finished the floral one. They are made of felt and very easy to do. I love working with felt...it doesn't ravel and can be appliqued easily.The pieces don't even have to be held in place with basting...just a simple pin will hold them while I stitch around them. My eyes aren't as sharp as they once were, so you have to forgive the sometimes  uneven stitches. Since my eyes don't work as well....they look just fine to me :)...not a perfectionist anymore. I'm starting on a fall candle mat...with leaves of fall colors going round.I sit and do these while we watch TV in the evening. They are fun to do also.
Speaking of felt lending itself nicely to applique...I made a really big wall hanging years ago for Christmas. I don't have it anymore, but now that I think about it...it was probably one of the first crafty things I did...back in the early 60's. It was a huge partridge in the pear tree. When I finished it, we hung it in the dining room. I did a couple of framed pictures next. I was so inspired by Grandma Moses in those days....loved her style of painting. Since I hadn't started painting...I created with felt. The pictures were country scenes...with little barns,  houses, fences, trees and cute little lambs. One of my son's friends made fun of the sheep. He couldn't figure out what they were. Little did I know then that in just a few years, I would be painting those same scenes in oils. I still enjoy looking at Grandma Moses' paintings. She was my first inspiration in the art world. I'll do a post about her soon.
Balisha

6 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

The scarf is cute and I love the name of the pattern. The candle mat is such a great idea, too, and so pretty. My eyes have gone downhill, too. I used to do embroidery and cross stitch and it's very hard to thread the needle and do the tiny stitches. Just at the time in our lives that we want to sit and do something relaxing, our eyesight goes!

XO,
Jane

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

You are so smart.
I use to crochet and do cross stitch.
Not in a long time.
Just this small home, garden, computer, camera, reading and keeping in touch with children and grandchildren and the day is gone.

Ivy, Phyllis and Me! said...

Good Afternoon Balisha, What a fabulous name for a scarf....potato chips. You say it is easy to knit, but it looks a little difficult to create the twists and turns...I shall have to try and find a pattern to see how it is done.
I'm glad teddy behaved when he was having his photograph taken.
Best Wishes
Daphne

debra @ homespun said...

A lady in our office made one of those scarves this winter...she just called it a twisty scarf. I LOVE your candle mats...I have it on my list to do something with felt down the line as I had read that you didn't have to turn under the edges or anything and that sounded great in my book. Plus just the look of it is wonderful...yours are so pretty!

Jan said...

You've been busy. The felting projects are lovely. Jx

Diana LaMarre said...

I think Ted makes a fine model for your cute potato chip scarf -- love that name! You sound a lot like me, Balisha. I can never just sit and watch TV without a project to work on.