A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Friday, September 6, 2013

Quiet Time


“The quieter you become, the more you can hear. ” 

Before I dropped off to sleep the other night, I said to Joe, "I haven't been quiet all day." That got me to thinking about the noise of our lives. The next morning, I sat in the chair, with the TV off, and listened to the noises of the house.The dryer was humming in the mudroom. The clock ticking behind me...and one in another room. Joe tapping the keys of his keyboard. The refrigerator clicked on and the water softener was running as well. 
Surely there was a place with more quiet.I got up and decided to move to the front porch.. I could hear the constant humming of insects outside along with bird song.  I got comfortable and picked up my iced tea and heard the ice cubes clink. Two hummingbirds buzzing at the feeders and chattering among themselves. Audra whizzing by on her new purple scooter. Traffic speeding by...to fast for our neighborhood. Someone said, "Hello" a neighbor was taking a walk by our house. A chipmunk rustled in some dried leaves. The call of the Blue jay far off. Turning the pages of the book I was reading. My own breathing. The sound of swallowing my tea. The creaking of the Adirondack chair when I adjusted the cushions.A dog barking. 
A move back to the woods to find quiet.As I sat on my bench I heard the rubbing of big limbs up in the trees. It was a windy day and the branches make the strangest sounds. Bird sounds everywhere. A big ga lump sound from the pond...a resident bull frog. Cicadas singing in the trees. Creatures rustling in dried debris. 
Going back to the house, I decided that there is nowhere to find quiet . These noises make up my world and make life worth living. If the world was silent...we would have nothing. We couldn't live without our everyday noise In this busy world of gadgets with buttons and bells and whistles.... it is important for each of us to find some quiet and solitude.We still have some quiet places...a walk in the woods, sitting by the river, strolling through a park, the forest preserves, or that quiet place in our own homes.  I find mine in the garden.  

Hope you find some quiet time today,
Balisha

I'm thinking about Syria right now. I've read that the Syrians are wondering why the world is silent? This is the first time I don't have an opinion about what we should do. It's such a huge problem. I just hope our leaders choose the right way to, maybe, solve this problem..".Be still and know that I am God." I hope they take some quiet time and make the best decision for the most people.

8 comments:

Judy said...

I was visiting my sister at The Farm last week and as I got into my car, i sat for a moment and listened to-----silence. Except for their tall maples moving in the ever breeze on the hill the house stands on--there was nothing. I drove down the road toward home, and pulled into the little lane by the woods. where I roamed as a child. Nothing! Nothing, but pure silence--again, except for the breeze in the tree branches. I so want to move back there!!!!!

Balisha said...

Oh Judy...I wish you could.
Balisha

prince snow farm said...

I love that you took time to be quiet. Every night as I pull the covers up, I realize that this is my first quiet time of the day. I have grown to relish it! We do miss so much in the craziness of everyday life!

Anonymous said...

I enjoy quiet some days....no radio, no computer, no tv. I especially love the sound of wind in the tree tops!

Brenda Pruitt said...

Loved reading this. I crave quiet. Which is why I don't go out much. I can't take the constant sounds of cell phones and conversations and such. You use to be able to stroll a store in peace and quiet. No more. I just stay home and enjoy the quiet here.
Brenda

Gatsbys Gardens said...

You are right, we all need some quiet time. I am afraid I do not have much of it, must remember to take some once in awhile!

Eileen

Sharon said...

I do the same - sometimes just stop and "listen" to the quiet, which we have a lot of where we live. My husband craved a quieter environment, which is why we moved here in the first place. I'm a city girl at heart so it's taken a while for me to appreciate, and I do now.

Syria has been on my mind, too. I didn't know what to ask for so I asked for powers wiser than us to move us in a peaceful direction. The news yesterday of a possible alternative to violence surprised many, which I think goes to show how limited our vision can be when we think about how to be in the world. I am cautiously optimistic ~

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Dear friend,
I am just like you, have the same thoughts about Syria. Can we turn our back..can we risk another war by shelling. What a terrible mess.

Quiet. Here I am fearing the quiet. I am going deaf and hearing aids are so expensive. I have been putting it off.
I had tests..and they were not good.
I first noticed what was happening when I plugged up one ear one day and suddenly the birds stopped singing and chattering. I have a parakeet and a canary. I unplugged my ear and once again the little carnary was singing his little heart out.
PH talks and I cannot understand what he is saying. It's terrible.
Quite IS nice..but not my kind. :)
Big hugs!!
Mona