A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Drinking Water and New Clothes



My heart was fluttering the other night and it continued for quite a while....so Joe called the paramedics and I went to the hospital ER to check things out. After staying there for a few hours having all kinds of tests and an IV, I was sent home. This has happened before, but not lately. The only thing that showed up was I was dehydrated. I get dehydrated so easily and it causes problems for me.I only have one kidney, so I'm extra careful about drinking enough.  I think that I drink water as much as most people. I always have a glass nearby. At restaurants, I drink water...and usually finish the glass and ask for more. So here I sit...I've had a huge glass of water, my decaf is here on my right and OJ on my left. I'm keeping a two litre pitcher of water on the counter and will finish it today. The day I had the problem, I didn't drink very much. I was busy and just totally forgot to drink a lot.I guess I need that pitcher of water to remind me.  I never get a thirsty feeling, so I can forget to drink.

Well, enough of this problem talking....on to today. We had snow last night. It was in the 40's yesterday and today it is 10 degrees. That up and down roller coaster is the weather this winter. The sun is just coming out and the wind is blowing. Several closings near the Galena area, because of drifting.

Yesterday I got a box from UPS with new clothes that I ordered online. I took a look at the clothes I wear each day and thought to myself...why do I always wear the same clothes? Week after week...things that are a little worn and faded.I was starting to feel rather frumpy.  I have a class reunion-75th birthday party for our class coming up in June. I had been looking for a outfit to buy. It is going to be very casual...not dressy at all.I went to a favorite website and  I found exactly what I wanted and then started checking out other clothes. I found some things that I wanted and clicked that button....and in no time at all...the box was here on the porch. Today, I am going to get in my closet and dresser and weed out the things that are old. Maybe I'll regret this, but I really want to look nicer when I'm at home.I think that sometimes older people loose their interest in fashion. The old clothes are broken in and comfy...we don't have to spend time wondering what we are going to wear. We may have nice clothes for social events and Church, but we come home and take them off and put them away and then back to the old clothes. Well, at 75, I'm still interested in fashion. I receive lots of catalogs, but seldom order from them. I like to browse through and see what new things are available...what accessories they put with things. I'm interested in seeing what they wear on TV and the movies, So, yesterday when I opened the box....yes it only contained new sweats, a couple of pairs of pants for Church etc, and some cropped pants for summer, and a navy and white striped shirt....nothing very exciting, but new looking. Now all I need is a new straw summer purse. So, this morning I'll be drinking water and finding room for my new clothes. What fun on a cold and snowy day.
Balisha

10 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

I'm so sorry you had the ordeal of going to the hospital and having tests...all of that is scary, but you did the right thing. I identify with you in so many ways. I have only one kidney as well. I always have something to drink nearby as well and when it's empty, I fill it again...coffee, tea, juice, pop, Crystal Light and I also like Smart Water, which has electrolytes but no sugar. It certainly becomes habit!

I, too, enjoy shopping online. I'm not much for malls, etc. I buy my share of sweat and yoga pants and comfy tops. And then I like buying a few pieces at the start of summer and winter that are in style for going out of the house. It's very hard to let go of the older more comfortable pieces though!

We only had a little dusting of snow last night but the wind was something else. And we went from 50 to a14 today! Wow!

XO,
Jane

Barbee' said...

Good idea about the pitcher. I forget to drink, too. When our four children were small, I'd even forget to eat. Later, I would realize I hadn't eaten any lunch. I learned to like cold coffee, due to being too busy to drink it, then finding it somewhere later and gratefully grabbing and finishing it. Now, I'm not that busy, but am just plain forgetful.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I order most at this time online.
rarely shop at store - but really do not need much for my lifestyle at this time. Old garden clothes
and something new each season about does it.
On water
I drink a lot - a glass always with me and in vehicle always my bottle. Eye doctor this mornion and my bottle of water went with me.

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

Sounds like a great way to spend the day. New clothes are always exciting. Those are down right cute. Glad you are better after your little ER visit. Keep drinking that water. Drink until you slosh is what I always say when someone is suppose to hydrate a lot. I have a stainless steel canteen that I fill in the morning and the afternoon. I sip on it at work and at the house. Plus, get in my beverages with meals. Take care and enjoy your new outfits.

Sharon said...

I challenge myself to update my wardrobe because I get too comfortable with what I've worn for too many years. I like the style of the outfits you posted. Navy is always a good choice. I don't drink enough water and your reminder is a good reason for why it's important.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Balisha, hope you are feeling better. Because of inflammation problem I lack in potasium at times and this gives me some of the feelings you have.
Take care of yourself and drink a lot of water...

Margie's Musings said...

Take care of yourself, Balisha! How scarey!

Good for you for treating yourself to some new things for spring.

I seldom drink water or much of anything. I drink two cups of coffee in the morning and that's about all unless I eat out and then I drink the water or tea I order.

I don't like the taste of our water...even filtered.

Anonymous said...

Great idea Balisha about the pitcher. I too need a reminder like that, as I never "feel" thirsty and we do need a lot more water than we think.
Glad you're feeling better, I missed your updates!
Jan

Patty said...

I have a hard time remembering to drink water. I'm so glad you got some new clothes. I know when I get something new I feel so much better about myself. So glad you are happy and doing well!

Barbara said...

So, so important - I'm always having to remind hubby to drink plenty of water too. Dehydration is one of the bug problems for older people coming into hospital I am told.

I keep a glass of water on kitchen bench at all times. And yes I do drink it and refill it!