A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Monday, January 21, 2013

Fairy Diddles and Inauguration Day





Fairy Diddles  for My Daughter

Fairy Diddle in the trees...looking down at me,
Little creatures with big eyes...seeing what they see.
Keeping watch for other squirrels and chasing them away..
Tiny little Fairy Diddle...never wants to play.
Busy gathering acorns and stashing them in places..
Furry little bodies and tiny little faces.
Little tiny furry thing sitting in the tree..
Watching everything that moves and looking down at me.
Thank you for the joy of watching you each day..
I'm glad you came to visit and show your charming ways.
I hope you like my acorns and trees so very tall...
I'll watch you glide from tree to tree and never fear you'll fall.
And when the winter snows appear... I'll think of you so near..
You'll hide in holes and houses until the Spring appears.
And when the first bud pops... on branches in the trees...
I'll look for you once more just gliding on the breeze.
Love you, Mom

Pictures sent by my daughter just yesterday...


My daughter was spending the weekend at her house in Wisconsin. What a cold, blustery first night she had there. She had run her errands and was, as she put it, hunkered down for the windy night. The wind was howling and beating against the house...rattling the latches on the doors. A big branch came down on her deck...missing the house. Cold was seeping in through the windows.The wind continued all night long and in the morning...the sun came out... and not a trace of wind.She would have some chili for dinner and just take it easy watching football or Downton Abbey later that night.
 I made some suet last year...a ton of suet. I was disappointed in how it turned out...it clogged the screens on our bird feeders and wouldn't hold together to put in a suet feeder. She was here visiting one day...and said that she would take it off my hands. She's been using it and keeps it in her fridge. Yesterday, some little visitors came to call...Fairy Diddles....they love this suet. She hadn't seen them in the winter, but there they were eating the suet off the ground most of the day. As we talked on the phone...we kept talking about them and thought that if they could speak they would sound like munchkins. That made for a very funny conversation...both of us saying what we thought they would be saying the munchkin way. These little furry creatures are so fun to watch. There's a tree house, that my grand sons had built, that wasn't used anymore. She was going to take it down, but found that the Fairy Diddles loved to scamper in and out of it...almost like playing...so she changed her mind and left it there. If you aren't familiar with them, google them to read more about them.
Today is frigid...the sun is bright and I'm glad I don't have to go anywhere. I'll be watching the inauguration most of the day. I  have looked forward to this for quite a while. I remember a coffee, at my house, when John Kennedy was elected our president. He was the first President that I voted for. Then when  living in a small town we ladies got  together for a luncheon on inauguration day...when George Bush was elected. We ladies all dressed like Barbara Bush...with pearls and enjoyed the festivities in our friend's living room. Some of Barbara Bush's recipes were used for the lunch.There won't be a luncheon today...I'll be here watching our 44th president  take office. It's always an exciting day for our country...when a President takes office. It's a day when all the citizens get behind the man and work for the good of our nation.God Bless America and God Bless our President.
Balisha  








No comments: