A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Friday, June 15, 2012

Today and Aunt Ruthie

This is a day's pick last year. We didn't plant any yellow tomatoes this year just the red ones. I was out early watering my babies. I can't wait for a BLT made with our own tomatoes. It's gonna be a hot one today, so I'm getting my work done early.

I'm planning a Father's Day lunch for anyone who stops by. I made 6 lbs. of pulled pork for sandwiches the other day. I made it in the crockpot and it was so easy. Love that crockpot! I used two pkgs. of French's Pulled Pork for Crockpot seasoning packets. Followed the easy directions and put the pork shoulder in the slow cooker with the mixture poured over the top. Turned it on low for about 9 hours. It cooked and was full of juice and goodness. It was fork tender and was easy to shred with two forks. We'll have all the trimmings with these sandwiches. 

Well, gotta go to the store now..By the way...thanks for all your best wishes yesterday. We had a nice day and a wonderful dinner out.

When we got home I found that my Aunt Ruthie had died. She was in her 90's and lived a really good and happy life. I can't remember her being seriously ill in all the time I knew her. She was a lot of fun and she loved her family.I have so many stories about her...especially to do with cooking. When I see a bushel of tomatoes I always think of her. I was very young...not in school yet... as was my cousin, Nancy. We were coming home from the farm, where we bought bushels of tomatoes for Mom and Aunt Ruthie to can. We were in her car...Aunt Ruthie was driving, Mom was sitting next to her, holding my cousin Bob in her lap...Nancy and I were in the back seat with the tomatoes. Aunt Ruthie slammed on the brakes and hit another car. I was propelled into the bushel of tomatoes. My cousin Bob had a broken leg. I was covered with tomatoes. When the police came they thought it was blood for an instant. I must have given them a scare....my Mom too.  Aunt Ruthie is the last in my Mom's family...all of the aunts and uncles are gone now. She was the youngest of six. She will be missed by all who knew her.

.Have a nice day and if it's hot in your area...keep cool.  
Balisha

3 comments:

Jan said...

I am sorry to hear about your Aunt - a lot of memories go with the last person in each generation. Having said that, your story really made me smile. Mark's Gran got cracked ribs from a frozen turkey in a similar sort of accident. Sending love and best wishes to you and your cousins. Jx

Margie's Musings said...

I am very sorry about the loss of your aunt, Balisha.

My sister is the oldest one left in our immediate family. I have four cousins left on my dad's side of the family....two older then me and two younger.

Balisha said...

Hi Jan and Margie...Thankyou for your comments about my aunt. She was a big part of my life when I was growing up.We were always together...her oldest is the same age as I am..and we went all through school together.
She had a good life.
Balisha