A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Snowy Day

This first measurable snow of the season brought to mind the wonderful children's story book called The Snowy Day. When my kids were growing up, we loved going to the library and reading books. I think that I enjoyed it as much as they did. I loved and still do, the beautiful artwork in kids books. Sometimes I go into the kids section and just look around at what's new. My last little boy was 10 yrs. younger than the first two. He had many favorites...he almost memorized the Childcraft book with stories and poems. He would walk around, in his little pajamas, with this orange book tucked under his arm, waiting for me to read to him. The poem about the tiny cupboard was a favorite. He loved Dr. Seus. Sometimes our library would be out of Dr. Seus books....they were that popular. We had to put our name on a waiting list. The little book, Peter's Chair was a favorite too...written by Ezra Jack Keats. Here is another written by the same author. I copied the review from Amazon....The Snowy Day, a 1963 Caldecott Medal winner, is the simple tale of a boy waking up to discover that snow has fallen during the night. Keats's illustrations, using cut-outs, watercolors, and collage, are strikingly beautiful in their understated color and composition. The tranquil story mirrors the calm presence of the paintings, and both exude the silence of a freshly snow-covered landscape. The little boy celebrates the snow-draped city with a day of humble adventures--experimenting with footprints, knocking snow from a tree, creating snow angels, and trying to save a snowball for the next day. Awakening to a winter wonderland is an ageless, ever-magical experience, and one made nearly visceral by Keats's gentle tribute.

The book is notable not only for its lovely artwork and tone, but also for its importance as a trailblazer. According to Horn Book magazine, The Snowy Day was "the very first full-color picture book to feature a small black hero"--yet another reason to add this classic to your shelves. It's as unique and special as a snowflake.

I loved the artwork in this little book and also the fact that it was about a little black boy. I wanted my kids to grow up without the prejudices that many people had. I don't think that he ever mentioned that the little boy was black. Peter was just a boy to him...and I think to this day that John is colorblind.
This is the sweetest book. I think that it would be a perfect book to read on a snowy day like this. Do parents still read to their kids I wonder? Will actual books go out of fashion someday? I hope not. I was read to by my Dad. We sat in the big chair every night, before he left for work, and read exciting tales.....ones that he loved too. A memory that I have to this day.
Balisha

4 comments:

Gatsbys Gardens said...

This is a book I read each year to my class. We would talk about where they thought the little boy lived with all the tall buildings and if they had ever visited the city.

It is a great social studies book for young children. Thanks for the memories!

Eileen

Barbee' said...

I greatly identify with this post. By the way, do you know about Hermes' blog about children's books illustrations? I follow it. I hope this link will work so you can take a look. You may have to copy and paste it into your address bar.
http://childillustration.blogspot.com/

Judy said...

My daughter and son-in-law read to their children every night before bed. I always read a lot to my kids and then of course, I have written a lot of children's stories and given and read them to the grandchildren. Love the books you mentioned too.

Balisha said...

Hi all,
I had forgotten this book until this morning. I think that many of us grew up with books...and the love of books never leaves us. What a comfort they can be.
Barbee...that link did work and I will have fun looking into it more carefully...Thanks
Balisha