A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Monday, August 29, 2011

What's That in My Garden?

I went out to just check on a few things in my garden yesterday afternoon and before I knew it...I was busier than a bee. It wasn't very hot and I thought maybe I would bring the Amaryllis bulbs up to the front of the house. They spend the summer tucked into a hideaway place...behind the big Hostas and the Susans. At this time of year, I usually check them over and pull away some of the dried material around the exposed bulb. Then I can see if any little creature has been nibbling on the bulbs, or maybe find one that is soft and needs to be tossed...I can pull off the dead leaves and just leave the green ones. I replace some of the soil around the bulb...not disturbing it at all. The soil that I use is Miracle Grow Potting Mix with fertilizer mixed in. I have been feeding these and watering just like I do the plants around them all through the summer. I find that this little boost of fertilizer is just what the doctor ordered. I decide to place them around in my small garden by the drive. I can keep my eye on them better here. I found that little chipmunks were digging in the loose dirt around the bulbs, while I wasn't looking. I am preparing them for the time, next month, when I bring them in for storage in the basement. They sit down there in a little dark area with little or no water or nourishment for about 8 wks. I can hardly do this. I'm such a nurturer...going by the door, it is all I can do to ignore them. I do pull off the leaves as they turn brown. After that time, I bring them out and put them on my big plant table in the basement... that has a big north window. I have a shop light over the table. This is where they will sit until they start growing. I've had good success doing it this way. I have 6 big bulbs and one little one. Once in a while, I have to toss one that just won't bloom again. So, each year I buy a new one to add to this group. My Red Lion was tossed last year, so I put in an order to American Meadows for a new one.I love having the big red bloom at Christmas time. When they have their two for one sale, later on, I have to keep my hands tied...to keep from buying more. Could I have an Amaryllis addiction?
Balisha



4 comments:

Margie's Musings said...

Could be, Balisha, could be...

Lona said...

After my amaryllis did not bloom last winter I stuck mine out this summer in the hopes that this would get them to bloom this winter. I was wondering when to bring them in and stick them into the dark.Thanks for this posting Balisha now I will take them to the basement in September. Wow, it is almost here. Where does the time go.

Doll Cheap said...

Wonderful garden you've got there! Congratulations on it!

Tabby Dinosaur said...

I love your garden. I can see your hard put you had put into your beautiful garden. Congratulations.