A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Fall is in the Wings




I was shaking the rugs outside yesterday and noticed a different feel in the air. It was hot, but maybe I'm getting used to it...or maybe just the fact that we are in late summer and I know that it won't last much longer. You know...there is that buzzing of insects in the air and the crows are making a racket in the woods. Is it my imagine or are the chipmunks starting to store things for the long winter ahead? The little guy can hardly lift his head after stuffing his mouth with sunflower seeds. I bought the ingredients for homemade suet yesterday. The trunk of the car is filled with chicken starter...a 40 lb bag. How many birds am I planning on feeding this year :) There seems to be an urgency starting... with the birds who migrate. My hummingbird feeders are always filled with those precious little birds. As I sit on the front porch, they fly from the feeder to the Ash tree. There seem to be a couple of inexperienced hummingbirds...maybe young ones? The Gold Finches are back from their summer in the fields. Chickadees and Nuthatches go back and forth from feeder to the woods. The perennials are starting to look tired. I can see mums blooming next door. My asters are starting to open. The lilies are just about finished. The highways are lined with blue Flax, Queen Anne's lace and Goldenrod. Soon we will see corn stalks and mums for sale at roadside stands. My Japanese Anemones are budding...getting ready to put on their first show in my garden. The Touch Me Nots are setting seeds...ready to pop open and spread seeds all over. There are changes in me too...I feel like cleaning my "nest" The windows look dirty, so I did them inside and out. I want to rearrange things, clean cupboards, and clean behind the furniture. Coffee starts to smell good to me and my robe, hanging on the door looks cozy. I am tired of my summer clothes and anxious to bring out the fall ones. I start looking at my favorite cookbooks...looking for recipes for "real" cooking....not the light, hurry up meals of summer. Soups, stews, oven meals. I may bake a pie today. I want to decorate with pumpkins and gourds...the oranges, russets and yellows of fall are beginning to take precedence over the summer colors. My houseplants are coming up from their summer vacation in the basement. My Amaryllis will be repotted and brought in soon.....ready for their rest before Christmas. Did I just say Christmas? I looked at Christmas cards yesterday online...and thought of ordering. Before I get carried away here, I hear that it will be in the 90's again next week. I say let the 90's come...they won't last long and soon we will be in the full swing of a new season. I'm ready.


Balisha

5 comments:

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

We share similar thought.
I think I am further into Fall then you.
Still hot days but cool mornings where I can open the screen doors.
My garden looks like Fall.
On the cleaning thoughts - I am doing the same thing :)

Lona said...

This summer is going just way too fast Balisha. I am so not ready for it to end. Could we just start again with spring and forget the months in between? LOL!

Margie's Musings said...

It's obvious you're not in southeast Kansas. It's 98 here and 105 heat index.

I envy you!

Summer can't go fast enough for me!

Sissy said...

I love the heat, love the summer. I dread the end of it...so much cold is coming! ugh!

Diana LaMarre said...

I just mentioned to DH how fast summer was going this year. It seems like it goes faster every year!

In six weeks we could be getting our first hint of snow flurries in Michigan.

I do love fall -- the smell, the decorating style, the nesting... urge... I just wish summer would not disappear faster every year.