A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A Special Garden

I was up with the birds this morning. I knew that it was going to be hot today...maybe in the triple digits, so I wanted to get my work done early. I wanted to clean the deck furniture with Simple Green. We just brought the chairs up from the basement and they needed cleaning. I went out and found that some critter had dug in my pots on the deck. I replanted the poor things and then set to work. I worked for about an hour on those and then came in to clean up and head to town...I needed to go to the store, take a movie back, and then water the garden at the Church. The pictures below show what the Grotto looks like at this time of year. The rose bushes are looking great and so is everything else. There's a problem with the ground underneath staying wet, but the surface soil dries out quickly. We don't need to deep water, but we need to water the annuals that are planted there. They haven't established a root system yet...so they need water everyday in this hot weather.

We have some native plants as well. Grasses, lilies, and a couple of others. They are really established now...and don't need watering.The little spruce that you see in the picture below will have to be moved this fall. We never realised that the roses would do so well...and they are crowding out the spruce. Here are the plants behind the Grotto.






I watered the whole garden...thinking that maybe the plants would like a drink on this to be hot and humid day.

I came home and brought in the groceries. Lots of fruits and juices. I always crave these on hot days. Today, we'll eat light. Joe is having leftover fried peppers and I'm having a BLT. The store didn't have my favorite brand of turkey bacon...so I am trying a new one. Some of these taste like cardboard...and most don't give off the fragrance of delicious bacon cooking. That used to be one of my summer pleasures...a nice BLT, with real bacon. I would use the bacon drippings for fresh green beans and bits of onions. The turkey bacon doesn't give off much grease, so no more beans.

My daughter-in-law just got a new coffee pot...a Keurig. It's really expensive and you buy little K cups of individual coffees. All different flavors. I saw a commercial for the iced coffee made in a Keurig...it looked so delicious. Well, I bought a new can of coffee and will try to make a delicious glass of iced coffee with a recipe I found on the internet and my old coffee pot.

That's about it for now. Where ever you are...have a nice day and keep cool.

Balisha









4 comments:

Margie's Musings said...

Thanks, Balisha. I am trying.

The church's flower bed is lovely.

Diana LaMarre said...

Hi Balisha,
Your Grotto looks beautiful. You can tell all of the work and love that was put into its creation.

It is over 90 degrees here today. I just spent about 20 minutes watering all of my containers.

acorn hollow said...

the church looks lovely.
my daughter got one of those coffee pots for a 1.00 at a thrift store.The ladies there didn't know what it was. She told them and they said since you know what it is you can have it for 1.00. In the summer I always keep any left over coffee from the morning in the frig. I like it with cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. We are expecting the heat here in the next two days it has been just perfect for about 5 days 70's dry and sunny.
Cathy

Barbee' said...

Balisha, what is your favorite brand of turkey bacon? I would like to know so I can look for it here. I really need to stop eating the real thing, and tomatoes will soon be here.