A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Friday, June 24, 2011

Mystery Bird

Here's a male cowbird... This is a picture that I found on the internet of a female Cowbird. I checked yesterday to see pictures of a female and they didn't look at all like the bird we saw, but this one looks quite similar. Barbee...I think you might have guessed it. I think our mystery is solved. Now, why are there always two of them? Is that fellow Cowbird a philanderer?




Here's the post from yesterday....I added to it this morning. Read above..


Can anyone identify this bird? A pair of them...or two of the same sex...have been visiting our feeders for the past couple of days. The pictures are the best I can do. You can see a ring of lighter feathers around the bird's neck.

The bird comes at about the same time as the cowbird. Also with blackbirds and sparrows. The bird eats voraciously...not very frightened by humans. I kept getting closer and the bird kept eating.




If you know what it is...let me know. I will probably be embarrassed if it's just a common bird. I should know this one...I'm afraid. I have searched my bird books and really can't find one that looks like this one.

Balisha











2 comments:

Margie's Musings said...

It's not in my bird book either. I don't have a clue!

Barbee' said...

Balisha, the first photo made me think: brown headed cowbird. But then in the next one I could see that light colored band around its neck and now I am stumped. I wonder if it might be a young something and the band will go away in time. Sure looks like a cowbird otherwise. Sorry I can't help you, but it is a good mystery. You might have an interesting bird there and we aren't even knowledgeable enough to know it. Some albino robins have been showing up in Kentucky, but they usually make the news.