A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Monday, May 23, 2011

A Wild Evening

We wanted to cook out yesterday. We could see the clouds gathering in the west, so we got the meal over fast and I took my movies back to the video store. It wasn't long, after I got back, that the clouds in the west had turned really black and were in a line rolling toward us. The sky was a light gray in the east and going west it changed color to black and was in a shelf like pattern and rolling and moving very fast toward us. The weather radio was constantly on...warnings over and over. Satellite was lost on TV. Joe's son, Dan called and asked if we were paying attention to the weather. He said, "You're in for a blow!" Before long, our tornado siren went off and Joe and I immediately went to the basement. The phone rang...his other son, Mark calling to see if we were in the basement. They live just up the street and they were down in theirs. We have big windows on one side of the basement and were able to see what was going on outside. The heavy rain was coming down sideways and the trees were bent over. The little radio kept warning us to stay down there until 7:15pm. We could see that the 1st storm was winding down, so we went upstairs. The house was so hot. We turned on the AC and then we sat and tried to watch TV. The TV was full of weather news. Breaking in and warning about the storm heading toward the east and the suburbs of Chicago. We just settled down and another storm hit us. This time lots of thunder and lightning. It passed without us having to go down....and then another minor storm hit and things calmed down by the time we went to bed. We watched the news last night and saw that others weren't as lucky as we were. Trees were downed and electrical wires...thousands of people without power. I haven't been out this morning yet, to see what happened in our yard...doesn't look like much from the windows. The sun was out, when I got up, but right now....it is clouding up and thundering. I'm not and never have been afraid of storms, but I respect Mother Nature. When I am warned...I do what I'm told to do. After seeing the devastation in the south this year...you'd be a dummy to not pay attention.
Balisha

Adding to this post...I hadn't watched the news yet this morning, when I wrote the above. I guess that we were the lucky ones...to only have lost TV, electricity and having to spend time in the basement. So many lost their lives in this huge storm. My heart goes out to all who are suffering. Balisha

2 comments:

Barbee' said...

Amen!

Lona said...

I am glad to hear that you both rode out the storms in fair condition. The weather has been so devastating this spring for so many. It is heart breaking.