A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Weddings....I Love Them..


Flowers, as any blushing bride will tell you, can make you look even more beautiful on your special day. But timing is everything and nobody, least of all the Royal Family, wants to see any drooping heads on April 29th. Last week's warm weather may have cheered up an entire nation but it did bring out spring flowers in the Queen Victoria Memorial Gardens at Buckingham Palace a little earlier than planned...meaning that come the date of William and Kate's wedding - April 29th, the royal gardeners will be called upon to cull some of those blooms that might be looking less than perky. ‘The gardeners inspect the beds carefully every week. There won’t be any bedraggled, sorry-looking blooms on the wedding day. My daughter was just in London and brought me a souvenir of the wedding day. I don't plan to watch it live....so early in the morning, but I'm sure that I will watch the wedding later on in the morning. I remember when Queen Elizabeth was married and then Grace Kelly, and Princess Diana. I love weddings and enjoy watching to see the beautiful dresses and flowers. I remember when Princess Diana and Charles got married...I called in sick so I could watch the wedding.


As for bouquets...if Kate chooses to go the symbolic floral route, her bouquet could include roses, the national flower of England; thistle, the national flower of Scotland (and where she and Prince William met); daffodils, the national flower of Wales; and shamrocks, a symbol of Ireland. The Queen Mother, a Scottish lass, carried a mixture of roses and heather, another floral icon of Scotland, when she married the Duke of York, later King George VI, symbolizing the union of England and Scotland at her wedding.White lilies are at the top of the list. They are said to be Kate Middleton's favorite flower. The white lily symbolizes purity, modesty, virginity and majesty. Another leading contender? White daffodils. It is the national symbol of Wales and represents Prince William's status as heir to the British throne. Every traditional royal wedding bouquet will have a sprig of myrtle. We might see David Austin roses in the wedding. David Austin is a world-renown English rose breeder. A fitting tribute, perhaps, to Prince William's mother, Princess Diana, who was known as the English Rose. It's been estimated that the entire flower budget for this royal wedding could reach as high as £1 million. Kate is such a beautiful woman...I hope she wears a crown of flowers instead of a jewel encrusted tiara.

I guess you could call me a hopeless romantic...I love all the pomp and beauty of a royal wedding...or any wedding for that matter. So, on the 29th of the month you know where I'll be. Sitting in my living room watching this spectacular wedding and sipping a cup of English tea.

Balisha

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree so much Balisha. This was a very nice posting and cheerful!

Diana LaMarre said...

I still remember setting my alarm to get up at 4 a.m. to watch Diana's wedding. It's only an hour earlier than my usual wake up time.

I probably won't get up early to watch this one, but like you, will see it later in the day.