A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

An Indoor Herb Garden

This is how I have always started my herbs indoors. Little peat pots with seeds. Patience...they take a long time to grow and they never turn out the way I would like them. Big bushy plants that I can snip from for soups and stews. Preferably in a window near the kitchen. Now that would be a feat...my kitchen is in between the breakfast nook and dining room. The kitchen itself is bright, but doesn't have any windows. Has anyone ever had one of these? It looks very interesting to me, but I have no room on my counter. I could put my new glass canister set in the cupboard, but it looks so nice and is convenient where it is. This might be an idea though. I'm wondering how many plants could comfortably fit in one of these? Would there be room for much growth?
Maybe a hanging herb garden is the answer. Sure wish I could try one of these before buying one. I looked at these for outside last year. I have a terra cotta strawberry jar that I love on my deck. This is basically the same idea. The little plastic pots just snap on.



I would love to have an herb garden in the house. I've tried growing them again and again and just end up with spindly, straggly plants. I've seen pictures of other people's herbs...and always wondered how they do it.I brought my Rosemary plant inside last year...it did well in the house but died during our hot summer outside. Do any of you have herbs in the house? If so, what's the secret?
Why do I like herbs so much? They really have nondescript blooms (if they have any) they aren't very pretty for the most part, they like to do their own thing in the garden. So, what's the attraction? I just like the idea of being able to snip something off a plant and add it to a dish and have the whole flavor of that dish change completely. I like to rub the leaves and smell that freshness. I like the way they look in terra cotta pots. I really like the fact that they are not fussy plants and will grow without much care outside. So, why can't I grow them inside?
Balisha



5 comments:

Tolentreasures said...

I have grown them inside but never have real good results either and I love to use them in cooking in the winter. I do have a sage plant/bush that I have outside and unless we get tons of snow (like this winter) I can use it all year long. A friend of mine uses one of those grow light things and she gets wonderful herbs in the winter.

Cathy

Barbara said...

I have never had great success in growing herbs indoors. They obviously prefer the great outdoors.

Anonymous said...

I can't grow them indoors either and have tried many times. I tried for three years to get mint started in my yard and I guess it was too shaded. I cut down several trees and the stuff took over the whole yard. I was pulling it up by the roots last year. I like to put herbs in pots in the spring. I love that hanging pot in your picture.

patsy said...

the only herb I grow sre onions and sage and not inside. my house is to cold in winter for plants. are onions herbs?

Lona said...

We are not a herb or spice loving family so besides onions I have not grown any. I do not think those indoor growing systems are very big but they may hold enough for you two.