A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Two Tylenol, A Heating Pad and an Ice Pack



The bulbs arrived today. My friend from Church brought them over along with a big bouquet of dried hydrangeas. I just love those flowers and will do something with them soon. The bulbs sat there in the box for a couple of hours. Joe was doing some projects around the house and he said that he didn't feel like going to Mass today...would I mind going tomorrow? Well, I decided to go out and get started planting the bulbs. It was still chilly so I needed my denim jacket with the big pockets. I got all the things that I would need and headed out with my wheelbarrow and green chair. I started to dig. The ground was as hard as a rock. I had watered this area a couple of days ago to soften the soil. The shovel wouldn't penetrate the ground...so I went in the garage and got a pitchfork. That did the trick. I dug a wide area using my left leg...I have problems with my right knee. I put the bulb food in the soil that I had removed and crumbled it with my hands. I put some of the Angelique tulips on each side of the Cranberry Bush. I had a few left over and they went in front of my statue of the Virgin Mary. The soil was easier to work with in this spot. We used to have a Yew up close to the house. The Yew died, so we had to dig it out. The ground was still soft there, so I put my Allium and the new Daffodils there. So, all the new bulbs are in front of the house. Then I started to spread some mulch on the side garden. I kept looking at the big pot sitting there...Oh, how I would love to have it next to the porch. I started shoveling the dirt from the pot into the wheelbarrow. I almost emptied it and took the dirt to the front of the house and dumped it on the ground. Went back and got the pot in the wheelbarrow. My neighbor was out and I asked him to help me. Joe still can't lift anything heavy, so I didn't ask him to do it. Bob was more than happy to help out. I got the dirt back in the pot and decided to call it quits. I sat for a while in my green chair and watered everything in real good. I sprinkled more bulb food around near my older bulb plantings. I really accomplished a lot today. There is a frost warning for tonight, so I covered some things and went in the house. My remedy for pain from overdoing in the garden is to take 2 tylenol, get the heating pad set up for the evening for the small of my back, and now an ice pack for my right knee. It always helps...and I seldom have pain the next day. My knee has been giving me fits, so I don't know how it will react to this treatment. We'll see in the morning. If it still hurts...it was worth it.

Balisha

1 comment:

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Balisha, did I tell you that Howard's knee caused him so much pain that he finally gave in and had a knee replacement. It was
done on August 9th and to look at his knew now you would never know he had anything done!
I let the gardener go last night..and Howard mowed the lawns both front and back. He is not only on the mend, but back to his old self.
I have no idea if your knee problem is anything like his...but I know he certainly suffered a lot before he gave in.
They even gave him those Cortizone (sp?) shots...but after a time they stopped working.

Everything I planted is now finally beginning to bloom. My bulbs are already coming up...and I am concerned it is a bit early.

The heat burned my rose bushes and I just noticed it today..also my lovely big fern on the little shelf in front of our bedroom window. All burned. It's upsetting. Thunderstorms are predicted for today and tomorrow.
NOT used to that.

Frost? Not for us. NOt for awhile but soon I hope. At least some cooler weather. It is not 9:25 P.M. and it is 81 degree's outside!!
You must take some photo's of where you are planting. I try to keep a picture of your home in my head..but all I can picture is the big tree to the right of the front...and how neat it all is! :)