A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Thursday, October 7, 2010

My MRI and a Visit on The Grotto Bench

I'm going to tell about my experience this morning when I went for an MRI. People are so afraid of this procedure and it really isn't that bad. I got to the hospital about 15 min. ahead of time. Filled out some paperwork and had a blood draw. An MRI tech. took me in the room and asked if I had anything metal on. If so, I should remove it. I was then taken into the room where the machine was. I got up on the table and she padded my head, so it was comfortable, put a padded thing under my knees, covered me with a sheet blanket, got me all tucked in and ready for about 45 min. of testing. She gave me a bulb in one hand...I was to squeeze this if I wanted her to stop or needed help. She put in ear plugs. Then she covered my eyes with a soft towel. She had put a needle in my arm so that she could give me an IV later on during the testing. I was having an MRI with contrast...so this was necessary. She left the room and started in. I felt the table move slightly, but couldn't see it because of the eye covering. She asked if I was OK...I said yes. Then the test began. It is the noisiest thing....banging, knocking, buzzing for quite a long period of time...then silence...she asked are you OK...can I continue? I said yes. This went on for about 30 min. and then she started the IV without taking me out and the noises continued. It lasted for maybe 15 more min. I really kept trying to keep my mind busy, but it was so noisy that I couldn't really concentrate. I am a word game person so I invented a game to keep my mind busy...I took each letter of the alphabet and thought of a five letter word starting with the letter...like A= ABOUT, B= BRAIN and so on. When I finished five letter words...I started with six letter words. Very simple word game that I could concentrate on. Well, the time went so fast and soon it was over. She didn't take the cloth off my eyes until I was out of the "tube" and the IV stand was put away. She helped me up and I got off the table. I would never have known that I had been rolled into that tube, unless someone hadn't told me. There is really nothing to fear. You can't see what is going on. People have made this procedure sound so scary that so many fear it and want an open MRI. The open MRI is not as good as the closed one...so if you can tolerate it...I would choose this way.

I left the hospital and sat in the little garden grotto by the front door. I had to wait for Joe to come with the car. I sat in the sun and a woman came and sat next to me on a bench that would seat two. She didn't choose to sit on another empty bench. I could tell she wanted to talk. She and I compared ages...we were both 72. She was a very pretty woman dressed in lovely clothes. She asked about me and why I was there and she had a tear in her eye when I told her that my tumor that had been removed last year was benign. Then she told me her story. She said, "I have lung cancer." There is no hope for me. I can't have chemo. I'm going to die soon." I was speechless and was trying so hard to hold back tears. She went on to tell me that her sister had died in her 50's and she said, "Here I am in my 70's...I feel that God gave me this extra time and I should be thankful." I wish that I had taken down her name and address, but her son came and she got up to go. I just felt like hugging her and when I stood up to say goodbye...we held each other's arms and wished each other luck. I'll never know this woman or what will happen to her, but I know that I will think about her and remember her in my prayers.



Margie's Musings said...

That was quite a story, Balisha.

It seems that woman was being very brave. I don't know how I would feel if I had to deal with her problem.

I will put her on my "unknown" prayer list. Gos will give her the strength to endure her illness and death.

Barbee' said...

How sweet, Balisha. That was good of you to take the time and make the effort to describe your MRI procedure. You never know who might read your post and be comforted by the memory of what you wrote during their own experience later on. The warm weather has returned here in Kentucky, and it is still very! dry, still. If the pendulum swings the other way, I'd say we are in for a very wet winter. The cool snap we had did make the flowers perk up and look brighter. Going for my flu shot today. Hope you are having a good day.

Balisha said...

I don't know if this explanation will help someone or not. I hope it does. Maybe someday they will make this procedure easier and more pleasant.

Margie...I looked at this brave woman as I held her hand, and put myself in her place.She was so strong and I knew that she must have deep faith to be able to accept the things happening in her life. I only wish that I had asked her name...Balisha

One Woman's Journey said...

Thank you Balisha for this post.
I have gone through 3 MRI's.
The woman on the bench I will remember in prayer. I believe that when our time arrives - we are much calmer and accepting then we think we will be.
Continued prayers going your way :)

Anonymous said...

I am so glad your MRI is over and it went well. I cannot have one because I have 10 screws and a plate in my left foot but I am sure your description will help anyone that has to have one in the future. I am sure that lady made quite an impression on you. I know she would have made one on me. Just imagine, you were like two ships passing in the night and you connected with each other. What a moving story you gave us in this post.