A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Pink Mulla Mulla .....Joey ( I Bought it For It's Name)




Have you ever bought a plant because of it's name? I did that yesterday. I was out for the morning...just looking at all the new things for the garden this year...when this plant caught my eye. It isn't a particularly pretty plant, but the name caught me. Pink Mulla Mulla...Joey. Since I call my hubby, Joey, I had to have it. I should have known that it was Australian, by the unusual name. I brought it home...3 of them....and put them right in the ground. I don't know where my mind was...I plopped it in my garden by the drive. This is a garden near the hose reel. It gets tons of water. We wash off garden tools there, mowers, hands etc. The garden is always getting splashed. In reading about it on the internet, I find that it grows in drier climes in Australia. A new plant to the US...I think last year. I really want it there, so I will try to shelter it, when we use the hose. Have you seen this plant...or bought it? Let me know how it worked for you.
I spent the better part of the afternoon tidying up the "snake" garden, where these plants will be. The lamium needed to be thinned out...it takes over. I really like it though, and think that it keeps the weeds down and looks so pretty, even when not blooming. I wondered if the snake was hiding under it all the while I gardened there. I put in a few bright pink wave petunias. It might be a bit early, but I noticed that they had them planted at the greenhouse. I only put in four, so they can be replaced if we get a frost...
The Grotto is heading down the road to completion. Joe is there this morning putting the 400 lb concrete benches together. The stonework started yesterday and it looks great. Take a peak, by clicking on http://sacredheartmemorialgrotto.blogspot.com/ We've come a long way in a little more than a month. The dedication is a month away. I will start planting the garden around this Grotto soon. Tomorrow I'll show the plants that I have chosen for this spot.
Today I head back to the woods to use the weed whacker around the statues and along the border. The lawn will be mowed tomorrow and I guess this will be my job, until Spring is over. So, I guess I should get dressed and get the job done. I hope all of you in Tennessee and Kentucky are drying out. I have worried about all of you.
Balisha

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that name, too, Balisha. I never heard of the flower before now. It just seems to roll off your tongue when you say it. We are having beautiful weather here this week but a lot of people have lost a lot. The Kentucky River has not crested yet and is causing big problems for those near it. I planted petunias several weeks ago and ended up covering them a few times so far. Beware of the snakes!

Noelle Johnson said...

I do like the name, but I think that I like the flower even more. It is so pretty :-)

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Balisha, thank you for thinking of us in the severe flood area.
Today is beautiful, Sun is shining and flowers have lifted their heads and some blooming. I have been out all day in the beginning garden. Ground soft and weeds pull right up.
Seems so good - after being inside for 3 days and watching the rain.
Take care :)

Momylama said...

My husband's name is Joe- so I too bought it for its name! I put them in my sharply draining, full sun garden. After seeing pics on the internet though, I think I will need more to make an impact. I'll let you know how it goes.

Anonymous said...

I too bought Pink Mulla Mulla - Joey for its name and my husband. Just yesterday. I only bought one as they are not cheap, and after doing a bit of research this morning, I hope it does well. I put it in the driest sunniest, most troublesome spot right off the alley and street.

Last week I planted a rose "Just Joey" and hope it grows to be as nice as the one at Denver Botanical Gardens. I don't call my husband Joey, but his mom did, and after she passed he started signing all his emails to me JOEY just as he did for his mom. So for that sweetness in him, I hope these two Joey's are good ole Joe's. Rita