A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Friday, August 28, 2009

More Notes Before Surgery

I just ordered some beautiful scarves. Also a padding that goes under, so my head looks a little bigger. I thought that when I get home and go out that first time...I will have something new and beautiful to wear. One is black with....you guessed it....cabbage roses all over it. Wouldn't you know the gardener in me would come out? My dress, for the wedding, is silver and black...ankle length...beaded with a chiffony skirt. That one with the roses will be for the wedding.

My "Joe of all trades"
I feel good this morning. I got a good night's sleep and things are getting done that need to be done. Joe is there every step. Friends from the past have called. Isn't it funny how we always mean to see people and call them, but because of our busy lives...we just don't follow through. Sandy called...she's been my friend since kindergarten and lately we have sort of lost contact. We talk each year and say,"Let's get together"...and really mean it, but because of busyness....we just don't follow through. It often takes something like an illness to make us realise how important old friends are to us. They know things about us that no one else knows. As soon as this is all over....we are getting together...I'll make sure of it this time. Joe has been busy getting all the supplies in that we will need, when I get home. We won't have to make a trip to the store. Right now...he won't leave me alone and that will probably go on for a time. Sandy was saying, that in her experience, that usually it is the woman who takes care of the man in marriages. She said, "You don't know how lucky you are....some men would run." Joe and I talked this morning about different couples we know, who are having medical problems, and how they are handling them. In our friends marriages, it is the woman who is the caregiver. A friend's email made us both cry a couple of days ago. She said that she was proud of Joe and that this is where our marriage vows come in....our promise "in sickness and in health."

That hits is on the head. Joe and I didn't take those vows lightly. We were both elderly, at the time, and knew that down the road, things would come up to test those vows...I don't want to sound maudlin...because I have faith that things will work out fine. The doctors have assured me that this will have a good outcome. This may not be the illness where our vows to each other come in...there may be another problem coming for one of us...down the road....but it has taught me something....how important each person is in our lives. Even you bloggers, who are making the time pass quickly for me. I can feel each of you and your thoughts through this thing called the internet.

Balisha ((hugs))
PS...Do you know how much this blog means to me??? To have a problem and be able to come into this room and tell how I feel...I can't describe the warm feeling I get. I don't wish misfortune for anyone, but if you ever have a problem that seems insurmountable...blog about it. It's such a release.

10 comments:

Barbee' said...

Balisha, Barbee' here. Please assume that I am praying - for I am. Not only for you, but for Joe, and all your children. I am so sorry that you are having to go through all this. I have had shingles for 3 weeks, but your illness puts mine in the shade. I am sure that you will come up with ideas for the pretty dress but less hair. I am hoping that all goes well, and that in the future you and Joe will be able to laugh about some of it. Thinking of you. B.........

Lynn said...

I will keep checking in and I know Joe will be there for you every minute... you are in my prayers...

Margie's Musings said...

My sister has Alzheimer's Disease and last November she broke her hip. She is til on a walker. My brother-in-law is her caregiver and does everything for her as well as cooks, cleans, etc.

Some men are jewels.

Balisha said...

Hello you three,
Thanks for reading and for leaving such nice comments. I'll just be glad when it's all over. I'll have the whole winter to recuperate. We do appreciate the prayers.
Balisha

Racquel said...

You are your husband are in my prayers Balisha. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Three years ago August 31 at the age of 44, I suddenly found out I had a heart valve that needed to be repaired ASAP. My dear hubby cared for me before, during and after. He made sure I got to my appointments WITH HIM (I tend to not want to burden anyone, I am a big girl!) and then the day after my surgery, he got me up and shuffled me around the hospital floor three to four times a day, made sure I ate that nasty hospital food and showered me...then would drive the 85 miles back home to care for my goats, grab some sleep and be back at the hospital by 6 a.m. to get me moving again. Thanks to his hard work on my behalf, I went home in three days. He cooked, cleaned and laundered while I recouped. Today he will tell you he HATES to do laundry but he loves me more. I am so glad I didn't have to go it alone and I am so happy that Joe is there to show is love by meeting your needs at this time. You both are in our prayers and our thoughts for a quick recovery.
The pic of Joe looks almost exactly like one I have of my Papa, who was a kind and compassionate man...so tell Joe I think he is too!

Judy said...

Hi Balisha, I am so glad you feel good and slept well and things are falling in place for you before your surgery. Your Joe is your angel and he will take great care of you. I can tell by the picture that he is a kind, loving and considerate man. You are both so lucky to have each other. I know your scarves are beautiful and you will be beautiful in anything because your inner beauty will show through. It even shows on the internet! I had to come over here and check on you before going to bed and tell you once more that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Love and hugs, Judy

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

You and your husband are like Howard and I. At least I think so.
Also, Frank and I. I think I was unsure when I married Frank and by that I mean..I was fearful. And, I lost him. Now..I have set myself up for more of the same..but like you two, we talked about it and we both knew one of us could end up caring for the other. It is just that time of our lives. Neither of us want to leave the other alone.
You spoke of vows. I said them and I meant them..but I honestly cannot imagine going through losing someone again. I will happily take care of Howard as I took care of Frank. It would just be harder this time because I am getting older each time.
When we marry at an older age we know full well how it could end.
But even knowing and experiencing it still does not prepare us.

Listening to you speak of your wonderful husband and how he is helping and caring for you is how we know it will be one day. One or the other will face this.

I know Howard is fearful of my upcoming surgery. I can see it in his face when we speak of it. My children are close by, thank heavens, and I know they will help us. I don't think of anything going wrong. I know we should plan..and I know this is not the greatest time of life for you or I to be having to go through this..but I also know that surgery has changed so much that it's going to go well. Very well!

I smiled when I read about your hair. I don't have to go through that part but the idea of you picking out the cabbage rose scarf just tickled me. I would have chosen the same thing. :) You are going to look lovely!! Please do post pictures ..ok?

Yes, I know how good it is to come on and talk about your fears when something like this is happening to you. I remember you comforting me when I was so ill and dealing with my weakness.
I am getting stronger every day. It is still hard to walk any distance but so much better than it was.
I cannot wait until this is all over for you and you are home and back on here telling us how wonderful it is to be home!
I just want all of it done and behind us.
You and I are so fortunate to have found such wonderful men later in life. I don't know your story..
Do you have it on your blog anywhere? I must search...but if you do not...can you post it?
I would love to know how you met and what brought you together.
I would LOVE to know!
I am holding you in God's light, Balisha. Both of you.
Mona

Anonymous said...

Our Blessed Mother holds you in her loving care.

cwa said...

It sounds like the two of you are truly blessed to have each other. If you cling tightly to one another and your faith, you can weather any storm. Hopefully the worst of this one will be over soon. Blessings to both of you.