A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Aging...Pets and Us


We had our chain link dog fence removed today. Laddie had a huge open area to run and play in. Our back entrance is on the upper level and the deck extends out from our breakfast nook. Sliding glass doors go out to the deck. Laddie is getting old and has been having trouble with the steep stairs. He has had this fenced area all of his life and he loves to be there, but we can no longer let him go down the stairs. In the winter, the snow and ice make the stairs treacherous for us too. Sometimes his feet start to freeze up and Joe has to go down and carry him back up...so the fence was taken down today. I walked him on his leash around to where his fence once was and he lowered his head and proceeded cautiously toward where it used to be. The chained fence was lying rolled up on the lawn....he sniffed and checked it all out. Then lifting his head in the wind....off he went....pulling his lady servant.....trying to catch a bird. He's fine with it...this bothers us more than him.

This was hard for us to do. You hate to admit that your dog is aging and has a limited time with you. We do everything we can to make our pets lives happy and safe. I was just out at the mailbox and a couple walked by with their Pomeranian. This is the sweetest little doggy with a German name. The couple are German too. I could understand that they love their dog and are having trouble with the dogs fragile legs. The little one was hopping on three legs. They will soon make a decision about surgery for this dog.

We humans have to make changes in our lives as we age too. Making sure our floors are safe with careful placement of throw rugs, keeping things off the stairs, nightlights, not driving at night and so on. Our driving skills change and we have to change with them. Knowing when it is time to stay off of freeways with their busy traffic is one thing. There are all kinds of new things to help around the house....special ladders with wide steps, kitchen tools with rubberized handles, tools to grab things that are out of reach, hand grips in the bathroom. I could go on and on, but I just wanted to throw this out for us to ponder. You may feel that you have a long time before you have to think about these things. The time goes fast and before you know it....someone will be taking your fence down...LOL

Balisha

2 comments:

OhioMom said...

Somebody already took my fence down, I pulled a muscle in my back .. not by marathon running, just moving a flower pot ... sigh

The last of my cats will be 15 this year, he has trouble jumping up in the window and sometimes even the furniture .. I put a chair by the window and I give him a hand up where I can. A bird was sitting on the ledge of the window the other day, the most enthusiasm he could show was to look at me and grunt .. LOL .. there was a time he would have tried to tear the screen out.

When DD comes by, he greets her at the door .. she calls him "old man". He is not offended, because he still has my lap to keep his old bones warm (and mine)

Balisha said...

Hi Ohiomom,
I loved your comment. I could tell how you feel about your cat through your words.Take care of that back. When you back hurts you hurt all over. Hope you feel better real quick. Hugs Balisha