A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A Spot of Color During a Drab Season

Is this picture beautiful or what? Maybe next year I will keep a geranium, so I can have this to look at. I learn so much from this blog....I never would have thought of pairing the two.
My amaryllis is bringing so much color into our home during this drab time of year. I posted a picture of it yesterday and got some questions on how I brought it back for a 2nd year. Here are the instructions that I followed.


Steps to Initiate Blooms Next Year
Contrary to popular belief an Amaryllis bulb will bloom for years. Just like your tulip bulbs the plant needs to have time to store energy in the bulb for the next season. Cut the flower stalk back to 2” above the bulb after blooming but allow the foliage to keep growing as long as you can. If you can keep the plant alive during the winter, place it outside in sunlight during the summer. Keep it watered and stop fertilizing in August when the foliage should start to yellow and die back. Remove yellow, dry foliage. The bulb has now become dormant and it should be September or October. Move the plant to a dry area with a temperature of about 40 to 50 degrees. I put mine in the basement and didn't water it. I marked this date on my calendar and then marked the date to start caring for it again. Six to eight weeks before you want the plant to bloom again, set it upright and start to water. This will signal the amaryllis to send out a flower stalk. Resume watering and move the plant to a warm, sunny spot again. Leaves should quickly follow along with flowers. When the flowers fade and the leaves turn yellow and dry cut the stalk and leaves back to just above the bulb. After a year or two the bulb will start to get bigger and you will have to repot it in a bigger pot. They do, however, like a cramped pot. An added bonus – the stalks and flowers will get bigger too. I have a third plant growing in the same pot...where I planted two.

When you put the amaryllis out in your sunny garden, be sure to keep an eye on it. One year a hungry critter made a lunch out of my bulb. The same thing happened with a favorite Christmas Cactus. I put the cactus behind a trellis that supported a clematis vine and when I checked on it it was demolished. So, last year, I put the amaryllis in a busier part of the yard, so I could keep a mindful eye on it.

It's really very easy to do. I did wish that I had this blooming at Christmas time, but then I felt that our houses at Christmas are so colorful...why not anticipate this beautiful bloom in my home when things are a little drab. It is certainly a bright spot in my home right now.

Balisha

7 comments:

OhioMom said...

With all the brown outside right now, this gorgeous plant brought much needed color this morning ... that is fabulous Balisha :)

Anonymous said...

A beautiful combination of pink and red.

Elenka said...

Thank you SO much for those directions! I've learned so much from you.

Anonymous said...

Those photos at the top of your blog are SO beautiful, and I can smell how fresh and wonderful they are. It is a nice spot of color you've got there.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Dear Balisha..
How beautiful!! I have such a large bright room and it never occured to me to bring live flowers into the house. I am so used to having too much darkness. I am going to try it. I have green plants..ferns..but I must try live colorful flowers and see what happens.. :) Thank you for all the instructions.
It is drab, I know..but I have to tell you that I do love Winter. We have had very little Winter weather this year..and it makes me sad. I hardly had to even wear a coat.
Balisha, I don't want to write much but my problem is persisting with Mele.
Your friend,
Mona

Balisha said...

Hi Kate,
Thanks for reading....I love color in the house, food, clothing..you name it.I think it may be that I have been a painter for so long.

Mona, I left a comment at your blog.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tips on how to have a Amaryllis from year to year. I plan on forcing some next winter to brighten up the house during the dark days!