A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Wren House

I have a dear friend who shares my passion for the birds. When we have a phone conversation...it can be about our kids, husbands, family joys and problems, trying to find time to get together, any number of things....but before we hang up we always talk about the birds. When her Mom was living...my friend always had stories from her too. We have always tried to be the first to see the snow birds in the fall and then call each other to tell. We write it on our calendar... to keep track for the next year. We call, when we don't see them anymore in the early spring. This tells us that warm weather is truly on the way. I guess we, in a way, are our own Farmer's Almanac.

We love the little wrens too. We shared this love with her Mom, who watched them with joy.
She always referred to them as female...Jenny Wren. Her Mom is gone now, but we still talk about her and her love of nature and tell some of the old stories.

The other night when we talked she mentioned that the wrens have left her yard. I hadn't heard them either, for a while. Last night while I was watering some shrubs, I got the worst scolding from a sassy little wren...right above me in the River Birch. She was having a hissy fit. I moved on down the yard a bit to give her space. She promptly flew into the above house. She busily went back and forth feeding babies. I sat there for a long time just watching this tiny bit of feathers and sass. Here we thought they were gone. They were just being quiet for the first time this year. I'm glad they're still here. They bring me joy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always provide nesting boxes & birdhouses for the wrens & other birds too. They always nag me when the feeders get low or empty. lol I've never seen snowbirds, I hope you get a picture of them this winter.

OhioMom said...

I love your wren house! I watched a seagull visiting in my neighborhood this morning, she was sitting atop a pole watching all the activity around her. Later while walking hubby and I were amazed at a pair of ferocious black birds defending their nest from a small red tail hawk .. he tried to hide in a tree and they landed literally next to him on the branch and commenced to pecking him on the head .. the hawk exited stage left :)

Balisha said...

Hi PG and Mom...
I always find it funny, when you put just the right house out for a particular bird...they go to another one. They all scold me too, when the feeders get low.

I would have loved to see the blackbirds defending their nest. We get the hawks here too.I know they have to survive, but I don't want to watch them get their meal.

Way back they called the Slate Colored Junco a snowbird.It is an old fashioned name for it. They are little ground feeders in the winter and really do a good job, cleaning up the mess that falls on the ground. However, in the last couple of years they have been feeding from the feeders too.

Judy said...

I love birds, too, but I have a friend that is scared to death of them. She is afraid of anything with feathers! I know that sounds weird, it does to me, too. You could probably run her to town with a feather in your hand.

Balisha said...

Judy,
I have a friend who is afraid of caged birds.She gets frightened if a parakeet flys around the house.