A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Monday, July 14, 2008

I did some work in the yard today. Basically just tidying up. I have so many lilies just about ready to burst open. Some of them are old lilies that I brought home from Church and just stuck the old dried up things in the ground.

I was sitting back near the woods, after my work, and watched the birds. I hadn't seen a flicker this year and there he was digging in the soft earth. Nuthatch, brown creeper, hummingbirds, cat birds, finches of different kinds, of course robins,wrens, sparrows, blue jays, and a new fellow. I saw him for just an instant. A small dark bird with a very sharp pointed bill about the size of a wren. Flitting about in the leaves so fast I couldn't get a good look.

I saw the groundhog scurrying up the hill... to the railroad track dugout that he has back there. They come out occasionally to sun themselves. They haven't done much damage here so we coexist.
I was paying particular attention to the flowers. I had put in some red salvia, that I had leftover this spring. I don't really like them that much. The hummingbirds are attracted to those, however. I was looking at my color scheme. Next year I am going to put more yellow and white flowers along the edge of the woods. They will show up more back at the house. This year I have planted my husband's favorites and the birds favorites. Next year I will pay more attention to the plants that are native to our area and put in a few things that I like.

I came in early...I had started out at 6am...cleaning the kitchen. Our cabinets hang on the wall and have room above to display things. We have lots of teapots, enamelware, yellow ware, lots of bowls, and those dishes that are shaped like chickens....glass of different types and colors. They get so dirty up there. I only do this once or twice a year. Well time slipped by and today was the day. I was up and down the ladder and had the sink full and dishwasher going for a couple of hours. It looks so clean now. No one else will notice, but I know. I was really tired, when I went out. I kept at it and finished. Went to the store starved and brought home ready made food for dinner.
Balisha

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a busy day. Have a good evening! :)

Eve said...

I love your pretty white front porch with the pink flowers around the corner. Inspires me to plant something there too.