A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Friday, June 27, 2008


We are getting ready for a hot and maybe stormy day. It seems we can't get just regular summer weather. I remember when the warm, balmy days seemed endless. Walking barefoot in the grass, picnics at Wing Park and swimming in the big pool. Then that 3 mile bike ride home...hot, tired, thirsty. We would park our bikes halfway and go to Potter's for an icecream cone. Mine was always chocolate. We were brown as bears those summers. The boys dug a big hole in the empty lot next to my house. It was to be their escape from we girls. They found an old door and put it over the hole to make a roof. We watched from behind the garage and as soon as they got down in the hole, and struggled to get the door over it....we bounded out and jumped up and down on the roof and drove them crazy. I guess that is the way boy girl relationships began...lots of playful teasing. Our garage was the best in the neighborhood...there were beams across the top...just perfect for our high wire act. My best friend, Mary, and I would have a circus and she took the money at the door....probably 5 cents, and I was the queen of the high wire. Umbrella in hand...I would walk across the beam, to the delight of our crowd....(3 or 4 people) The money we made on the "Show" would be divided and we would go off to Mickey Burstein's grocery for penny candy. My Mom never knew. Do kids have this much fun anymore?

Balisha

1 comment:

Dean Goodmanson said...

Yep, at least we did. We had adventures in our backyard. We dressed up the little ones in the neighborhood and went on 'quests.'

Then we'd have a play in the garage and sell tickets and popcorn.

I certainly hope my boys do those things too. Although I'd skip the 'high wire act!' LOL There's only so much my mother's heart can take!