A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Sunday Conversation




Adelle Davis




Cold and flu season is upon us. When we got our flu shots last week...the pharmacist told me that so many cases of flu are already in our area. That was the reason for starting the flu shots early. Last year I got a severe case of the flu  even having the shot. I hope that doesn't happen again. 


Remembering Adelle Davis, from years ago talking about staying healthy. She was a spry older lady with some very good ideas. She believed that what we put into our bodies is what keeps us healthy or sick. I cherish a book of hers and through the years I followed it. It sits on my bookshelf now and isn't used much.....but when I get that scratchy throat, it's the first thing I read. Here's a  recipe for tea that I found in her book. Not her recipes, but from an old, yellowed, newspaper article... folded up between the pages.

This article was from the Daily Herald 1999..this recipe for tea to drink when you have a cold:
Combine 1 oz sliced fresh ginger, 1 broken stick of cinnamon, 1 tsp coriander seeds, 3 cloves, 1 lemon slice, and 1 pint of water. 






I don't have a scratchy throat, but I thought that I might try to start building up my immune system by drinking some ginger tea each morning. I was a big fan of the Martha Stewart show. I remember Martha saying that she loved lemons. She started her day by drinking lemon juice. I can remember my Grandma drinking lemon juice too. She also kept this weird root in her refrigerator. She would take a little slice and put it in some warmed up lemon juice. I later found out that it was ginger. I remember her giving me a taste...my face screwed up, as I tasted the pungent mixture. She said, "It's like olives..you have to develop a taste for strong flavors.....your taste buds will change over the years and you might like it later on." Try as I could...during her lifetime, I never developed a taste for ginger....except her wonderful ginger cookies.

I buy ginger tea in tea bags, to use when I don't have fresh ginger. It's pretty good...made by Tetley. Little round packets of pungent flavor. I simply put a bag in my Keurig and put a large mug underneath and fill it up with tea. Sometimes I put a lemon slice in there too. I seldom use sugar in tea....trying hard not to eat too much sugar. 

When I told a friend that I had another cough a couple of weeks ago, she said, "You really have to build up your immune system." How do I do that? I've had bronchitis since I was 6 months old. My colds always end up with a deep bronchial cough. I love milk and drink a couple of glasses a day. I know this isn't good for someone who has a cough...so I guess I should give up that cup of ovaltine first thing in the morning.To boost the immune system they say to exercise, sleep well, good diet, vitamins, eating a probiotic like yogurt and drink a lot of water.. I do most of those things. I'm probably a little lacking in fruits and veggies. You are supposed to eat so many of these 5 servings I think...that sometimes I know I don't get enough. 

So, this morning, I am off to the store to buy some things for a fruit salad that can be in the fridge when we want some Some navel oranges are on my list too as well as lemons. . I need some greens too and tomatoes. I fixed Swiss steak in the slow cooker during the night so that will be on our table this Sunday.I cooked a couple different kinds of squash yesterday...that will be my vegetable along with Joe's favorite, green beans.

I hope to stay healthy this winter...especially important since Joe is having surgery later on. We finalized holiday plans yesterday with an open house here on, maybe, Dec 1st. Hopefully everyone can come. We'll be 19 if everyone comes. 

Well, as soon as I finish my tea, I'll be heading for the store. Tomorrow is another visit with Elizabeth....lunch with a favorite friend and I'm bringing the dessert.
Balisha 

5 comments:

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Balisha, like you trying to stay healthy and so far good except for the fall.
I love Kefir and lately pour a small glass, protein powder, banana, any other fruit I have on hand, a little yogurt and very small amount of milk. A smoothie
that is so good. I have added a little spinach to it.
I eat a lot of fruit, keep apples cooked and have along with my breakfast. Love milk and ice cream but vegetables I do not eat enough of them - enough shared :)

acorn hollow said...

a visit with a friend and a Christmas open house sound wonderful. I have found that if I Drink hot water and a big chunk of lemon that helps me stay well and I also eat 2 pieces of crystallized ginger each day. I usually do this after dinner at night but I don't think it matters the time of day. I am sure you are going to get all kinds of ideas how to stay healthy this helped me even when my husband got the flu last year I didn't get it.
good luck with the winter colds
I drink at least a couple of glasses of milk a day too.
Cathy

Friko said...

Good health is dependent on so many things, but eating well and drinking lots of water and exercising enough are definitely part of the package.

Here’s hoping you get over the winter in one piece.

Sharon said...

I recently heard about the benefits of lemon so I bought a big lemon to squeeze into hot tea. Coincidentally my favorite herb tea is lemon ginger tea, though I didn't know how good it is for me:)

Judy said...

Adele Davis was my guru back in the '60's and '70's. I used Vitamin E for everything!! I credit it with why I have a good immune system today--although nowadays they tell us Vitamin E isn't all that good for us.