A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Gardening My Way




Working in the yard the other day really did a number on my knees. I have iced and put heat on them ever since....soooo I had to decide what to do about this problem. The knees feel pretty good today....a few days later.When I garden I move around the yard with a couple of small stools. I move from spot to spot and sit while I weed or whatever. This up and down is hard on my old body.(Boy, I hate to admit that) Our yard slopes downhill and that makes it difficult too. I started thinking this weekend about planting the "color" in various pots to place in strategic spots in the yard. My seedlings are now put in larger pots. Marigolds for my husband. I will just plop them in where I need color. I ordered some geraniums too. For some reason I love scented geraniums. They have such interesting leaves and wonderful fragrances. I think that I have written before about liking more delicate plants in the garden. The big "blousy" blossoms are beautiful....but I prefer a more understated bloom. When you brush against these geraniums it releases a sweet scent that encourages one to breathe deeply and take time to smell the roses.....or in this case, the leaves. Scented pelargoniums are a collection of all shapes, sizes and colors, all sharing highly aromatic and interesting foliage. For example, the common zonal geranium, often used as a bedding plant, is a relatively scentless. Scented pelargoniums were first brought from South Africa to Holland and England in the early 1600s and have been lovingly cultivated ever since. I first heard about these interesting plants on the Martha Stewart show years ago. She had all varieties on her set. I haven't had them before, so this year will be the first. I recently bought a book called Bulbs in the Basement Geraniums on the Windowsill. I am just starting to read the book. Maybe I can save these scented geraniums throughout the winter and have a new hobby as well as a thrifty way to start my garden next year. I was really feeling sad this past weekend...reading about how everyone was starting out in their gardens...cleaning up, planting, switching things around...knowing that it was time for me to slow down and change my way of doing things. Now, with my new plans....I think things may work out to be rather pretty. I am looking forward to the warmer weather and trying to keep up with you guys and gals. Thanks for the inspiration and gentle nudge with your wonderful posts on your time spent in the yard. From now on....I'll have to do it My Way.


Balisha

13 comments:

Lynn said...

Balisha, we are so much alike, I think that is why I enjoy reading your blog so much. The knees
aren't what they used to be are they??? My husband calls me the scooter. I sit down and scoot my way around the flower bed! LOL I also love my Scented pelargoniums I love the different leaves mixed in with everything else. I saved cuttings in my basement under the lights all winter. They are doing great. I just propagated them a few weeks ago. Now I have plenty for me and the girls...
Have a great day, if it makes you feel any better I'm not out in the yard IT SNOWED LAST NIGHT!!!

Elenka said...

Ah, yes, sore knees. Well, if ya gotta have them, then getting them from gardening is better than getting them from any other way. I think.

Barbee' said...

Good for you, Balisha! I love scented leaves and dainty plants, as well. I think you will enjoy your new plan very much. Keep us posted.

OhioMom said...

I think your way sounds like a winner :)

Lona said...

I have to set and scoot also anymore because of this old back falling apart. I am not liking it one bit and raised beds look more appealing all the time for more reasons than one. The sounds I make getting up and down anymore is filled with groans, snaps and pops :)

The scented geraniums are great and will do very well indoors over wintering.

Balisha said...

Hi Ladies,
I just watched Dr. Oz on the Oprah Show. The show was on longevity. His visits to really old people really interested us. They all talk about diet and daily excercise. Many of them doing chores in gardens. Guess we had better keep it up.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Balisha, I surely understand. I sit, scoot, use a stool and then can hardly get up. After a few minutes I am alright.
Here I am planning a new project and I hope the body follows the mind and will.

Balisha said...

Hi Ernestine,
I think that you have a lot of determination to get this project of yours done. You will do it! Each day will bring such a sense of accomplishment and joy.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Dear Balisha,
I want thank you for your kind words also! I am beginning to feel my limitations as is Howard. Once I get down..it is very difficult to get back up at times. Slowing down is difficult. I know how you feel. I am ashamed to say I actually thought of hiring someone to plant the flowers we bought. We have the soil ready..but it seems overwhelming when I look at all that needs to be done.
I do so love Geraniums. I had collected so many colors at my other home. I am..in a sense starting over.
We are blessed with warm sunshine but lots of wind today...and spent the afternoon in the hospital getting Howards eyes treated. Tests...nothing serious...just needs new "specks" :)
I must..find some of the scented geraniums now as you have me curious.
Garage sales are an adventure. Most have nothing..but..I must tell you we did come upon a church Bazaar and I bought eleven..yes, eleven hard cover like brand new books! I was delighted. The books were all a dollar each! So..between my angel and books it was a GOOD day I would say. Good luck on yours and be sure and share your finds!! And...you don't have to get up and down off the ground! :)
~smiles~
Mona

Balisha said...

Hi Mona,
A friend was going to bring me a recipe...instead she brought me a whole big bag of cookbooks. She was cleaning her shelves and brought them to me. I've had so much fun going through these. I'll never get my gardening done!

Elenka said...

Hi Balisha, Thanks for wishing me well...It's 2:45 am and I'm up...I'm going to stay home tomorrow again. In the coughing stage now...
I'm getting close to retiring from teaching...actually, I can do it right now. But I still enjoy it and I do get a paycheck, so we'll see.
I can't wait to garden. Was it your blog where you wrote about chocolate 'flavored' plants a while ago? I think it was...I will have to look back. Almost all our snow is gone.
cough cough

Anonymous said...

You could try one of those kneeling mats. My grandmother uses one and loves it. I'm glad your knees are feeling better now. Look forward to seeing all your plans come to life this spring in the garden.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

:) I just found your little note to me.. :) Cookbooks! Oh my. You should see the top of my frigerator... :) How I love cookbooks!!