A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Cinnamon Toast...My Comfort Food

For as long as I can remember, this cinnamon and sugar shaker has been in my family. First Grandma had it then Mom and now me.When my kids were small, I didn't use it, but now whenever I have cinnamon toast it comes off the shelf.

Cinnamon toast is a comfort food for me. It brings back memories of eating breakfast in Grandma's big kitchen. When I had a sleep over at Grandma's she would make me cinnamon toast either before I went to bed or in the morning for breakfast.That an a bowl of wheatena and some ovaltine would be my treat.

I remember during the war having a family live with us for a while.My mom invited a friend and her little boy to come and share expenses... while their husbands were in Germany. Guess what they brought with them? An electric toaster! Now, our toast wouldn't be burned on one side. We had so much cinnamon toast at that time. It was a reasonably priced treat that didn't require many ingredients.

When my kids were growing up...we had it often. Sometimes when they had been sick...it was the first thing that would comfort them.
I remember reading in children's literature about this treat. I especially remember reading this poem to my small son, John.

Animal Crackers

by Christopher Morley
Animal crackers and cocoa to drink --
That is the finest of suppers I think;
When I'm grown up and can have what I please
I think I shall always insist upon these.
What do YOU choose when you're offered a treat?
When Mother says, "What would you like best to eat?"
Is it waffles and syrup, or cinnamon toast?
It's cocoa and animals that I love most!
The kitchen's the cosiest place that I know;
The kettle is singing, the stove is aglow,
And there in the twilight, how jolly to see
The cocoa and animals waiting for me.
Daddy and Mother dine later in state,
With Mary to cook for them, Susan to wait;
But they don't have nearly as much fun as I
Who eat in the kitchen with Nurse standing by;
And Daddy once said, he would like to be me
Having cocoa and animals once more for tea!

We had a set of Childcraft books at that time, and John would run to get the favorite book from the set for me to read.. He had the pages memorized and knew just where his favorites were in the book...without a bookmark.I can remember many cozy nights...reading to this little boy. He would be next to me...under the afghan just listening...with his mouth moving.. as I said the words.

So, this morning when I awoke...I thought, "What should I have?" Cinnamon toast came to mind. It's the first time this fall...A comfort food? What are some of your comfort foods?
Balisha

7 comments:

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

I must have cinnamon toast when I am sick and I always made it for my daughters too. I love your shacker - how special that it has been used by many generations :-)

debra @ frugal little bungalow said...

I remember childcraft books! :)

That shaker is extraordinarily beautiful!

Comfort foods make me think of food on cold days, not hot so I'd have to say tomato soup or anything with gravy on it in the winter :)

MsGraysea said...

What a lovely treasure you have in that beautiful cinnamon/sugar shaker.
Cinnamon toast is surely a comfort food for me, as well. My others are chicken soup, and I do so love a pot roast dinner...maybe once a year!

acorn hollow said...

what a wonderful memory of your son.
I love cinnamon toast and would eat it every day if I could.
Cathy

Judy said...

I haven't had cinnamon toast in a hundred years!!! Now--I want some. My favorite food is warm cocoa and toast and--you aren't going to believe this, popcorn and milk.

Blondie's Journal said...

You've stirred up some memories for me, too. it was rare that my mother would make us a hot breakfast before school, so she alternated cold cereals and toast with different toppings. Cinnamon mixed with sugar was the number one choice! Funny, my daughter who is in college makes bagels, English muffins, toast, frozen pancakes and waffles in the toaster every morning before school. I should surprise her with some cinnamon sugar! :)

XO,
Jane

P.S. I love hearing your warm and fuzzy stories of growing up!

Sharon said...

My mom had a children's book of poetry she'd read from and this poem was a favorite. Your cinnamon shaker is beautiful. Until recently I kept cinnamon sugar in an old cinnamon jar ~ I now have a cute little metal shaker just for that purpose:) Cream of wheat is my go-to comfort good in the morning; it's meat loaf and mashed potatoes for dinner.