A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Afternoon Things to Ponder

This picture is from the internet. EBay.


My woods is all ready for the scattering of wildflower seeds. The area that I want to have wildflowers is all cleared of debris. Now, all I have to wait for is the first frost. If you were outside here today...you would wonder if it is October or not. Very humid and warm. Rain came this morning and we received only a trace of it  in the gauge. Sun was in and out of the dark clouds all day. I sat back by the woods for a while...and noticed a few box elder bugs. Not like past  years though...where they were crawling all over the front porch and house.
I decided to clean high places this morning...while it was raining outside.I love to clean when it rains. Especially drawers and closets. Today it was the living room.  I got the shelf over the couch all cleaned...the loon and ducks that sit on the shelf were dusted. I decided to put the ivy garland up there instead of on the fireplace. It looked really nice and clean and I was ready to do the fireplace mantel. I took all the duck statues down and gave them a good cleaning and then put the garland that will go from fall into winter up there. It has apples and pine cones mixed in with eucalyptus. I will stick a few berry picks in here and there later on. This morning, I ordered a glass shade for a Village Candle. A white Christmas candle and a shade that is frosted with red berries. That will go to one end of the mantel closer to Christmas. I'm going to use the lighted swag that I had on the mantel last year on the railing going downstairs with candy cane bows. We put greens and pine cone wreaths on top of the lace valances in the living room. I figure that they can go up any time now. Not too Christmasy. A little at a time is my way of doing things.

I've been researching potpourri pies... that I might  make this year for gifts. We have one that is very old and my grand daughter, Xoie, always comments on it. I think that they must be easy to make and it should be fun. You just make a salt dough and roll it like pie crust, put it in a foil pan (any size) fill it with potpourri, and put a lattice crust on top. Crimp the edges and bake at a low temp...like a pie. When cool you can varnish and...decorate with cinnamon sticks, berries, bows, cones etc. If you've made these...please comment and tell me how you did it.

All this Christmas talk on a warm, humid day. What is it about we women? How do we go from one season to the next so easily? Seems like only yesterday I was lamenting the fact that summer was ending and now on to Christmas without skipping a beat.I understand that the stores are starting to decorate for Christmas, but I haven't been in a store to see this. Maybe we are like birds who get that urge to migrate at this time of year... we get that urge to decorate. Maybe it's that nesting instinct that comes in the fall and winter...making our homes cozy and warm..I don't know what it is, but I've got it. I'll just keep the house shut up and go on nesting...and just ignore the heat outside.
Balisha

1 comment:

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

I am eating or the first frost to spread my wildflower seed too :-)