A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Saturday, August 3, 2013

The Pictures Make the Story


When my children were small...I used to take them to the library, even before they could walk. We would look at the books and being small...they only enjoyed the pictures. I kept seeing books with these precious little children portrayed. It was my first interest in who illustrated the books. Eloise Wilkin was a favorite at our house. She had a talent for making a child's face look so sweet and full of wonder. They were mostly chubby little ones with fat cheeks.I ordered a series of pictures and they were hung in my little girl's room. 

 Later on Tasha Tudor became a favorite. Her way of quaint living and painting really interested me, as I was just starting to paint and devoured anything about artists and the way they lived.
Grandma Moses had another interesting life story. She didn't start painting until her elder years and became so popular back in the days when I was just starting out. An artist without a studio and painting on most anything...was just my style. I did some primitive painting back then on saw blades, tea kettles, coffee pots, clay pots...etc.




Calenders were another source of art work. I became a big Susan Branch fan. I loved her style of painting and at the time, I was taking a calligraphy class. How did she get that style of lettering...I wanted to know? I still don't know how she does it. I love her hand writing as well as her painting and story telling. If you want to see some of her talent, she has a blog...http://www.susanbranch.com/ that I follow. She is an author and has a new book coming out. I buy one of her calenders every year. 
And finally we come to my favorite nature artist...Marjolein Bastin. She is a world renowned artist who paints delicate, detailed illustrations of nature's beauty.I have several pieces of artwork in my home. I love her way of finding whimsy in the natural world. 

All of these artists have made me so interested in the art world. I have such a broad interest in so many different styles of painting.There are many more favorites...Mary Engelbreight comes to mind.  These artists have made me more interested in the things in my world. It started out in the children's department of the library.. a long time ago. I know these artists without having to look them up. I can spot a Susan Branch painting a mile away. 
Art is all around us...just go to the library and sit in the children's department and look at the books. They are mostly pictures and the pictures make the story.
Balisha

2 comments:

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Oh
I love Tasha Tudor...

CraveCute said...

I have always had a soft spot for the art in children's books. The illustrations are so detailed and beautiful, that is probably why I have collected so many! I love the art of Marjolein Bastin also.