A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Morning Thoughts

Every year, except last year, I have sprinkled seed for wildflowers along the border of my little woods. I have always planted in the fall. Fall planting is a dormant planting so no watering...the seed germinates in the spring.It must be done after a killing frost. Fall planted seeds sprout and bloom several weeks earlier than the spring planted seed. I just mow down the debris that is left after leaves fall and leave my mower setting high so that the seeds are mulched by last year's growth, much the same way as I do my mums. I tried a new company this year...Vermont Wildflower Farm. I ordered a pound and a quarter of two different blends. I have some packages of seeds here that I plan to mix in. A good way to use leftover seed.
I had ordered a Buckeye tree to plant in the border, but this morning I cancelled that because Joe's back has been bothering him and since he would have to do the work...it just made sense. Besides hauling water back there isn't fun anymore. So the only things coming are the plants I ordered for Tim's garden...they won't require any hard work.
I also ordered my annual amaryllis bulb...Samba this year. I haven't had this one yet and it looks to be a good one. I didn't like the one I had last year, so I threw the bulb out when it was finished. I think that the red goes with all the Christmas things and Joe likes red flowers...so this one is for him.

 Yesterday found me at a restaurant in Oregon, Illinois called Maxson's Manor. Four of us get together ever so often and go somewhere for lunch. We decided on the spur of the moment to go to Maxson's. We had all been there before. Joe and I have gone there for Easter Brunch and Thanksgiving a time or two and I took all my grand kids there to ride the paddle boat and have lunch on the boat. We decided to eat in the restaurant and really enjoyed the buffet that they serve.Typical lady talk was fun and we laughed so hard at our growing old stories. We left and decided to pay a visit to Angels Treasures. It's a resale shop that benefits our Ogle County Hospice. The original shop has moved a few miles away, but another branch is still there. It has more antiquey things. Lots of things from dishes to big pieces of furniture. I bought a couple of clay pots (wouldn't you know) They had some very flat rounded dried flowers in each of them. The price tag was on the bottom $14 each...I got them both for $2. I also bought, with a lot of pressure from one of the ladys in the group...a black sequined top....very simple and very dressy. Their blouses and tops are all $1 each. I don't know if I will wear it or not....We all bought a $1 garment. Woo Hoo. We were all tired and came home late in the afternoon. 
After a little rest it was time for Joe and I to go to Mass. Yesterday was the Vigil of the Feast of Assumption of Mary and a Holy Day of Obligation for we Catholics. There are two Masses today, but since I was already dressed we went last night. There were quite a few people there.
Then we came home and warmed up some soup and watched a movie...Admission starring Tina Fey, Paul Rudd, and Lily Tomlin. It was a good movie and I would recommend it. 
That's about it for yesterday...today I'm tired and now Joe wants to go to Farm and Fleet. They have kitchen rugs on sale today....so here we go.
Balisha



10 comments:

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

I want to try planting some wildflower seeds this year along the edge of my woods. I haven't had luck with the cheap ones, so I will try ordering from the company you used - thanks :-)

Blondie's Journal said...

I never thought to plant wildflower seeds in the fall, very smart. They are going to look beautiful along your woods. And ordering the amaryllis early is a good idea, too. Mine usually bloom around Valentine's Day because I buy them so late!

I can see that you had a busy day with your friends, it sounds like it was fun! Oh, heck, throw the pretty black top on New Years Eve, even if it's just you, Joe, a pizza and an old movie!

XO,
Jane

prince snow farm said...

Hi Balisha. I have never planted the wildflower mix. This is a great suggestion, especially the part about planting after the last frost! I would not have know that. I actually said to my husband the other day that we should try planting all our veggie seeds in the fall.After all, some of the strongest plants are the ones that self seed from the previous year, especially tomatoes!Take care!

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

I wrote an entire comment and it just vanished suddenly..and I was back on my own blog. Frustrating!

I was just saying how so many of us know our part of the country and what to plant and when.
I have never grown an amaryllis and your red one is just beautiful!

Have a nice weekend, Balisha. And Joe too!
Howard will be 80 in October and I am doing the same thing for him. Trying to to load him with difficult digging, etc.
Big hugs,
Mona

Margie's Musings said...

I wish I could plant some flowers here but this lot used to be a parking lot and there is lots of gravel under the surface. It's hard as a rock to try to dig.

Balisha said...

Hi Vicki...I've had pretty good luck with the seeds I have ordered. I ordered from American Meadows last, but decided, just on a whim, to try a new one to see if there might be more perennial seeds included.It does work to plant after the frost here in my zone 5. I'll have to just be patient...
Balisha

Balisha said...

Hi Jane...I might just do what you said about the sequined top. We go to a few parties during Christmas and there's always a wedding or dressy occasion.
My goodness...it sounds like we are talking about a $1000 top....I only paid $1 for it.
Balisha

Balisha said...

Well, I finely found out your name Nantucket Daffodil....it's Monica,

So Monica....I don't know enough about seeds to be able to tell you if that would work with all seeds. I just read the brochure that came with the seeds and followed the instructions for the easiest way to plant them.I have had success with wildflowers.. although we have lots of weedy brush in the woods and they really overpower the flowers, so I do it almost every year.
Balisha

Balisha said...

Hi Mona...I think that you could grow Amaryllis indoors or out in your area. You'd have to check with the garden center.
I cancelled the tree...I knew Joe could do it, but he often overdoes things and then has to pay for it with pain later on.Have a nice weekend too...Balisha

Balisha said...

Hi Margie...I guess it's container planting for you. It's a whole lot easier...I have put things in containers the last couple of years. Around the house now is just maintenance and a couple of new little spots where I have added some things.
Balisha