A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Monday, January 28, 2013

A Quiet Sunday Revisited

This is how it all came down. We had a verrrrrrrry quiet Sunday. Right after eating our delicious meal, at 3pm, and the dishes were washed, I finally sat down to watch TV. Joe decided to nap. This is when it happened...the power went out. It was really kind of nice...at first... to have quiet in the house. We had nothing to do, so the quiet was so relaxing. The quiet had gone on for a couple of hours when it started getting to us. The ambiance of candles burning was getting old. The house was getting chilled and so were we. Darkness was here now and there sat Joe in his big easy chair with my little light gadget around his neck, so that he could read. There were candles of different fragrances burning....the smell that I once enjoyed, started to wear on me. I was sitting with head phones listening to the football game...then the news. After another hour went by, Joe called the power company and was told it would be on in about an hour. Well, an hour went by and another call was made. We were both getting testy :( I was dressed in sweats with my robe over and an afghan to cover all of me. We continued reading and listening. It was the night of my favorite show...Downton Abbey. The hour went by without me watching. It was just about time to go to bed and the lights went on.Then the job of setting all the clocks and checking the computers. I realized then how spoiled we are... We had no plans....so why couldn't we just accept this annoyance? While it was going on...I did give a thought to the homeless...how do they tolerate the cold? I don't know how the pioneers did it...and how did Abe Lincoln read by candle light? Things are back to normal today...and all our gadgets are working. I think we had enough ambiance for  a long time last night.
Balisha

6 comments:

Barbee' said...

I love the quiet, but not the cold that seeps into my bones. In past, those little hand warmers saved the day for me. The kind that are to be opened and shaken in the air to activate them. They last a long time. I've put them in my pockets, but then if I keep my hands in my pockets I can't do anything else. Candles: love the ambiance and glow, my allergies do not agree, and husband hates the smell; he won't even go in the shops and stores that have them, so, oh well, so much for romance. Oh, NO! You missed Downton Abbey after you were the one who reminded me! Will it be repeated on another channel in your area. It is here, but one must have cable TV.

acorn hollow said...

I always think those things when we lose power. I sit here with the washer and dryer going both my husband and I are on computers watching the tv with about 6 lights on. oh power how I love you.
Cathy

Amber Star said...

Balisha,
I really do enjoy your blog and very much so this one. In the spring we lose power from time to time, back when it used to rain in Texas, and we would lose power. Once my son came downstairs and was fussing about it being hot. I told him to turn on a fan. I then realized how stupid that suggestion was.

One year the power was going off so often from the storms my husband bought us some little headlamps at Harbor Freight. They worked well for reading and getting around the house. In winter the cold would very much be an issue. I wonder how the homeless ever are able to get water for washing. It is very difficult being poor.

Oh, if you haven't already watched Downton Abbey you can on PBS.com.

Margie's Musings said...

We are spoiled, aren't we? I do not like it when the power goes off or even when the computers are not working. I check my e-mail and blog many times in a day's time.

I am class locator for the class I graduated with. They depend on me to report when one of our classmates passes away or has good news.

No, I don't like it when the power goes off.

Anonymous said...

Oh to enjoy the quiet, on your terms, right?
You can always watch your missed episode of Downton Abbey on PBS.

Patty said...

Am glad it didn't go on too long and you are warm again. :)