A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Monday, November 26, 2012

Turkey Soup...Easy Peasy

We had ham for Thanksgiving dinner. Joe's son, Dan, fixed a turkey dinner before he came to our house to eat. His lady friend, Melody, was helping to serve the military at Great Lakes Naval Base...and he wanted to serve her a turkey dinner, when she got to his house. He came in with a few small packages with turkey for us. Just enough for a few sandwiches...and the drumsticks and wings in another package. We really enjoyed a turkey sandwich after eating so much ham. I sat there yesterday, wondering what to do with the scraps and the turkey parts. I went out to the kitchen and got out a med. sized pot and put some chicken broth into it and filled it the rest of the way with water. Turkey soup was the plan. I put the legs and wings in along with some roughly chopped carrots, onions and seasonings. I cooked it for a while and added some chicken flavoring. Next I strained out the legs and wings...the carrots too. I then added more onion and some more finely chopped carrots and cooked them till almost tender... and then finding an open  bag of kluski noodles (just a few were left)...added them to the pot. Cooked the noodles... added the cut up turkey pieces, some seasonings and parsley of course. There it was finished...a nice pot of maybe 4 servings of soup. It was so fast...maybe a couple of hours and I had a nice couple of meals for us along with a sandwich.

Soup is one of my favorite things to make. We have served soup to company several times. They always appreciate it, because so many don't make homemade soup. I think people are afraid of making it. The soup they call homemade in restaurants is shameful. Sometimes it is so thick you could stand a spoon in it. They use that cream soup base and let it sit on the back burner until it's like wall paper paste. I know you can get good soup in some restaurants...but for the most part...it's not very good. With chicken broth so easy to make or buy (they have improved canned and boxed chicken broth so much in recent years) soup making is almost foolproof. I think that parsley is the key to good chicken or turkey soup. I use it in so many recipes.
So today when Joe gets back from his appointment we'll each have a big bowl of turkey soup. Mmmm good!
Balisha

5 comments:

Judy said...

I love making soup!

JCDiTaranto said...

Sounds delicious! I needed turkey soup for Thanksgiving Day, and was lucky enough to find a smoked turkey leg at the grocery store. I prepared it similar to the way you did. You're so right -- good soup doesn't have to be difficult, and it's so welcome on a chilly day!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I make soup several times a week.
So easy and healthy for one.
Soon, White Bean Chili with turkey leftovers...

Balisha said...

We eat our bigger meal early in the day. A bowl of soup is a favorite thing to eat while we watch TV in the evening.
Balisha

marlu said...

I love homemade soup too. Today I made Paula Dean's chicken and dumplings which I consider soup.
A bunch of quilters put out a little book, "Soup's On" and it really has some great recipes in it.

Your turkey soup sounds yummy.