A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Thursday, November 8, 2012

R E S P E C T- This is What it Means to Me.

Just what does that word mean to me...Respect has to be earned...not everyone that I meet earns my respect.My upbringing was old fashioned, as some would think today. I learned as a child to respect my elders. I learned that phrase before I even knew what it meant. When I was naughty around the relatives, I would only have to look at my Mom or Dad and I knew I had done something wrong. When I started school...we called the teacher Miss Leach. She made us tow the mark and earned that respect by doing her job well. No fooling around in her class. In Church we refer to our Priest as Father....he has earned that title and we show respect. We would never call him by his first name. We don't always have to agree with people on religion, politics, customs etc...but we should be respectful of other people's beliefs. I was raised to have good manners and be polite ...We waited for my mother to sit and start the meal each day. That came down from my ggrandparents...both sets of grandparents had  6 children and we would all sit until the women of the family were seated. Sometimes one of the little kids would get squirmy and want to sit, but grandpa would give them a stern but loving look and that child knew to behave.He felt that the women had made the meal and out of respect...they should be seated first Sadly our table manners have suffered since TV and activities that take kids away at dinner time. TV trays were the beginning of the downfall  of table manners. We eat in front of the TV once in a while but no matter where we are...we pay our respect to God for the meal we are about to eat. Our family doctor and his family were best friends with my parents when I was growing up. Mom and Dad  called his wife by her first name, but he was always called Doctor. I still do that today. A doctor that I had for years was always Doctor to me. We are bloggers...we should be polite enough to respect each other's views. As I said before...we don't have to always agree with people to be respectful.We call past presidents President Reagan, or President Bush. I think that this shows respect for a difficult job well done. I believe that our current President should be called President Obama. It makes me cringe to hear people just say Obama. He's earned that title in  my opinion. Call me old fashioned...and that's probably what I am and I could go on and on, but it would get a little boring. I just thought of this as I sat here this morning. I heard a news report earlier and they referred to him as Obama and I started to write.
Balisha








8 comments:

Sonny G said...

I guess I'm old fashioned right along with You..

I have to say I have been hurt and disallusioned to see many of the words said these last few days here in blogland. I tried not to look but they were everywhere I turned. Spoken by people I admired and thought highly of.. now... ummm

I have forgiven, but forgetting may take some time.

Folks spoke loudly of LOVE and then turned on that very word with a vengence ,spewing hate anger - racism - degradation and nothing even remotely close to the Christianity they constantly profess..

I hope positiveness, kindness, understanding, compassion and RESPECT will fill their hearts and souls - for ALL of our sakes.
What we put out into the Universe returns to us 100 fold and what we need is LOVE.
I wish it for each and every one of us and may God Bless Us, every ONE.

Balisha said...

Well said, Sunny...thanks for reading and taking the time to leave your comment. Have a nice afternoon.
Balisha

Unknown said...

Wow! I just had this conversation last night. Despite my political beliefs the President of the United States IS THE President and should be given the RESPECT he or she deserves! I aplaud you for blogging this.

Hugs!

Unknown said...

I agree with you that those that DESERVE respect should be given it. Unfortunately, I disagree on one person.

I am coming along slowly but nicely, but oh the aches, pains & bruises that keep arriving. I am now dressed beautifully in a golden yellow face & burgundy purple chin. They have decided it isn't my heart this time ... so who knows.

Always love hearing from you sweet friend.

Have a beautiful day ~
TTFN ~
Hugs,
Marydon

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Balisha, a wonderful post. Wish I had written Sonny's post :)

Balisha said...

I am rereading Sonny's comment. What a spot of sunshine in our blog world.I couldn't have said it better.Thanks again.
Balisha

garden girl said...

It's no wonder children sometimes don't learn respect. How can they, if their elders are setting such pathetic examples.

I do feel that respect is earned, and at the same time, you can respect the position even if you disagree with the person.

I can relate to what Sonny said. I've been saddened to see people I thought highly of making some pretty disparaging comments in places like facebook, and on blogs.

debra said...

I agree! :)