A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

A Garden Window

I sit here every morning and gaze out this window while at my computer. It's the window in the front of the house.. looking out at the road.  I spend (sometimes too much) time here everyday...and I have for almost 10 yrs.  I have had an idea for quite some time. Why not fill this window with plants and get the area around my desk uncluttered? It's the only window with good exposure that we have... for some sun. So, I'm going out on a limb today and telling about my plans to make this a garden window before it's even started.

This area around the computer is a catch all...so many little piles of papers that need to be put away. I think that most of us tend to put things down saying, "I'll put that away later." But most times, later never comes. I am planning to neaten up this place that I spend so much time in. Today is the day...and I'll show it tomorrow. I've had this itch ever since I read the short story for our book club. It's about a couple who are buried by their "stuff" The husband hires a professional organizer to come in and clear out their "things' We talked at length at book club about people today needing more room that their houses provide for their belongings. Some rent storage units or pods to hold their treasures. The librarian said that the library has a professional organizer come in each year to go through things that are not needed anymore.

I have never been able to work with clutter around. When I was doing artwork...I would have to tidy up my workroom before I could start for the day. I have had embroidery projects going and I find that I need to keep my sewing things neatly in baskets. I could never leave the sewing machine out. As I age...I am finding that this doesn't bother me so much anymore. I tend to put things close...so they are handier for me. We have containers with pencils, scissors,rulers in many places around the house. Phones are next to reading chairs with books piled near. Magazines in baskets under the coffee table, kitchen counters have appliances that are used often, bins with potatoes and onions are kept right around the corner in the kitchen...not downstairs anymore. Even the freezer is convenient...we have already to thaw meals in the upstairs freezer, snacks, leftovers, little baggies filled with frozen vegetables, all these to make it handier for us.

So this window garden that I am making, is going to be a way to keep things convenient. My plants will all be in one place upstairs.I do, however, still have my orchids in the mudroom on lighted shelves. I think that I can make this window attractive. So, tomorrow, when I gaze out my window....I'll see the bird feeder hanging just outside and I'll have a view of my plants and bulbs growing on this side of the window.to make me happy this winter. I'm hoping that the birds won't fly into the window when they see a bright color. Right now there are some titmice, a nuthatch, english sparrow, a cardinal and I hear a blue jay in the tree... It's a wonderful place to spend some time. I hope that I'm not making it more attractive...so I spend more time here. Computers are so addictive. One thing just seems to lead to another and I am just the follower:)
Balisha

7 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

Having all your plants by the window will be so pretty and help you with the watering as well. I really can't wait to see it!

As I get older I find I enjoy everything organized and in it's place much more...it makes life much more simpler and you save time looking for things. There are so many pretty and versatile ways to store our treasures rather then keeping them hidden...I love baskets!

Enjoy your day, Balisha!

XO,
Jane

Balisha said...

Hi Jane,
I'm here taking a break. My window area is just about finished. I think that I am going to really enjoy it...You leave the nicest comments.
Balisha

Barbee' said...

Oh, goody, something new usually gives me a lift and encouragement to do more. I think you have a very good idea! But, as far as houseplants: I got tired of them and gave them away so am now down to 3... plus the English ivy that has crept from the ground through some unseen space at a daylight-basement window and is growing into the basement laundry/computer/TV,family room. At least I don't have to water it.

Rose said...

Balisha, You have inspired me--I started looking around at my computer desk and realized what a mess it is. I prefer things neat and organized, but it is so easy to lay something down where it's convenient, as you say, and then things quickly pile up. Your garden window sounds like a great idea and one that you will enjoy.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Beautiful
Every window I look out
is beyond words that I have.
My birds have disappeared
for weeks.
Wonder about this...
Take care.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

This was a wonderful post. It had everything that makes a post worth reading. I love that window. I sort of did that with my front window. The birdfeeders are there the tree's and I love to sit there.
This is the time of our lives,
Balisha, when we can do things like that.
I have too much stuff...I know I do. I give a lot to my girls.

I need to start getting rid of things..and the reason I haven't done more, I think, is because maybe I want to still believe I might need them in the future..which is silly.

Howard and I do the same thing you and Joe do. Things are convenient for us. Of course we have no basement. But we do have two storage sheds and a big garage.

I can't wait to see your window when it is all finished. Wish we had the colorful birds you have but ours are rather dull.

Love,
Mona

bj said...

What a great idea for your pretty window. Good good luck. And be sure to show us when you're ready. :))
xoxo bj
O, and I am the same way. I am not nearly as neat in my olden age as I used to be. When my first grandson came along, I knew in an instant that a messed up house was nothing to worry about...we'd rather go to the park than clean house. :))