A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Elusive Hummingbird

Have you ever waited for an opportunity to take a picture of a hummingbird? I see so many wonderful pictures and I find that the person who took the picture must have spent a lot of time...just waiting. I've watched National Geographic and when they show how the pictures were actually taken...I think that the photographer must be a very patient person. Of course they are the pros and we are amateurs. The other evening I was sitting and watching 3 or 4 hummers flying to the feeder and then dipping and swirling back to the Ash tree. I thought, "What a great time to take some pictures." Ran in to get my camera and came back out and waited for the best shot. I waited and waited. Two of them dashed in and left as soon as I got the camera ready. This happened several times. I decided to put the camera down and give up. Joe came out and said that he would get me a good picture. The birds continued dipping and diving and swirling about. He was showing frustration. but he was determined. I mentioned the beautiful puffy clouds that were forming...maybe we should take cloud pictures. He kept at it...tongue between his lips... concentrating. (I think he wanted to show me that he could do it. Finally, after a couple of snaps...he got his shot. The picture above is the only one with a bird in it. There have been many wonderful pictures on various blogs, but this is his picture and he asked when I was going to post it. Well, here it is.I don't think it will grace the pages of National Geographic any time soon, but it's good enough for my post today....and the only picture of a hummingbird for us this year. 
Balisha

3 comments:

Barbee' said...

Good shot, Joe! I love the spaces in it that show the clouds, the feeder, and the bird. Clear shot of the bird, too. Yep, that's a keeper. Thanks, Balisha, for posting it. We've had some small, puffy clouds lately, too. I stopped and looked at them thinking how pretty they were. Reminded me of the clouds I've seen near the ocean. Now, got to go and stir up something for lunch.

Lona said...

That is such a pretty shot of the hummingbird. I love the clouds in the background. They are the fastest little things. I do not have good luck when it comes to trying to get a picture of them.

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

Sometimes, just proving it was there is enough. Enjoy your hummer.