A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Monday, July 16, 2012

The Weekend

Weekend started out with no plans, but developed into one with many. There were several visitors at our door, both the furry kind and human. The last ones being my nephew and his wife...yesterday afternoon. We had a fun afternoon of memories and lots of laughs. We live far apart, but Matt and Julie know that we love company and keeping in touch. 
The hot weather returns today. I have been doing so many things during this heat. Knitting, and reading are my favorites. I've read so much this summer. My tastes run from the classics to simple summer reading. I have been rereading some of Nora Ephron's books since her death. There is one waiting for me at the library. 
We've watched many different kinds of movies. I record them throughout the day...then we go through the "list" and give them a try. If we don't like the first 5 min. we delete them.There are so many that we have enjoyed...even though the title didn't sound interesting. We watched Secretariat yesterday...we'd seen it before, but both of us love this movie.One that I would recommend watching is THE BIG YEAR. When Joe first started watching this...he wondered about a bird watching movie and thought he wouldn't like it. We got into the movie and thought it was so funny. A good film for summer.... it's about two birders trying to defeat a cocky champion birder in a competition that lasts for one year. They are keeping a list of all the birds they see in a year's time. The places they visit and the antics they go through to see these birds is so funny. 
Then on to cooking...another favorite of mine. The slow cooker has been used so much this summer. I have really learned how to use it...by browning the meat first and how to season the food that is prepared in it. The results have been delicious meals. We have air conditioning, but the slow cooker doesn't add heat to the house. Now that sweet corn is ready...we have it almost everyday. The season is so short...and will be shorter this year because of the drought. I bought the makings for hot fudge sundaes when I heard that Matt and Julie would visit. They had just eaten dinner....sooooo that leaves us with the ice cream not touched. Oh, dear!
We have several things coming up with birthdays and a visit to the Coronado Theater. This retirement of ours is pretty nice. 
Balisha

7 comments:

Judy said...

Oh enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! Time is so fleeting!!! Enjoy every moment you are together. Retirement--I always said it is like a lifetime of weekends!

Balisha said...

Hi Judy...I like that..a lifetime of weekends. I read your post and it sounds like your weekend was nice too.Keep on feeling good.
Balisha

Barbee' said...

Balisha, I have wondered and wondered about your slow cooker, then I had an idea. Would you please do a post about it, with photos, please. What brand is it? If you were buying a new one, would you get this one again?

Jan said...

I love reading your posts. It's great to hear that somewhere in the world is actually enjoying a proper summer. It continues to be cold and wet in my part of the world!! Jx

Balisha said...

Hi Barbee...I would be glad to do a post about it. Soon...
Balisha

Balisha said...

Hi Jan...I believe that I read somewhere that the temp in Britain this time of year is in the 70's. Tell me if I'm wrong. I would trade your weather with ours in a minute this year. It seems that the grass is always greener on the other side. Being that the Olympics is about to start...I do hope the rain will stop, but cooler weather will be great for these athletes.
Balisha

Lynn said...

Hi Pat it's been a long time but I think I am back! It has been one busy year at our house and I am trying to fill everyone in on it so I hope to be in touch alot these next few weeks...