A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Monday, May 21, 2012

The Woods Without Me

I was tired after working on my little Mary's Garden, so I went in to eat lunch. While we were eating, I kept looking out toward the woods and saw some flowers. After finishing, I decided to take my camera and head out there to investigate. After sitting on my bench and getting my camera ready, I saw what I had been viewing from indoors. They were Sweet Williams. So many flowers in my woods. Who else saw the Sweet Williams? Butterflies. I don't know the names for sure, but I think that they are Yellow Swallowtails. There were many of them flying around...gliding on the breeze. Flitting here and there. I got this picture before my camera went dead. There were other butterflies too. Little brown and orange ones and white moths. My Honeysuckle vines were inviting to Hummingbirds. I couldn't get a closeup of them.
I wondered how the woods would fare without my care. I have defended, amended, and tended the woods for about 8 yrs. First I had to talk Joe into letting me clean it up. He felt it unsafe, because of barbed wire fencing and other hazardous things. I finally just went ahead and started hauling things out of there. I started adding things as soon as the job was done. Many trees, bushes, wildflowers, etc. Then I had this huge undertaking to take care of, and I did it well until this year. Now I have just let it go and I'm finding out that it is much more the way I originally intended it to be....before I got crazy with clearing and planting. I wanted it to be natural and natural is what it is today.
As I sat there watching and listening...I found that there are weeds...of course...but in among the weeds are pretty wild flowers, butterflies, many more varieties of birds, and from the rustling I heard...some little creatures running around unseen. All these creatures didn't seem to mind me sitting there for a while...they are used to me by now. With all the variety and birdsong...I'm sure I heard them thanking me for just letting it be.
Balisha

6 comments:

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Beautiful...

Pat said...

Isn't it funny how we can plan and calculate and plan some more but a garden, like your wood area, always seems to have a mind of its own. You got it started and nature did the rest. It does look lovely.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Dear friend, if I could let mine go..I think I would. I am struggling this year...the beds have weeds and yet I while my time away playing with my wheelbarrow Fairy Garden..when I should really be weeding.
Your woods are so lovely..if only I had some.. I said I wasn't going to use that phrase again.. :)
Your flowers are just beautiful..and the picture you caught of the butterfly is wonderful!
Mona

acorn hollow said...

It is pretty. I think that I am going to let some gardens go it is to much to do alone now as David can't deal with soil and really do I want to spend so much time that I now resent it? You got the hazards out for the animals now they are thanking you.
Cathy

Lona said...

Maybe the flowers will overtake the weeds Balshia. I am sure the butterflies will always find those flowers of yours. I can tell you are having a hard time of letting go of the woods garden. The picture of the butterfly is so pretty. Have a wonderful week.

Barbee' said...

I love those butterflies. We had them where I grew up. Seldom see them here. I think you are fortunate to have them in your garden. Thank you for sharing that one with us.