A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Monday, May 7, 2012

An Early Evening Walkabout

Here is the trellis that we brought out of the woods to use this year for tomato plants. It was a gift from my daughter, when we went to a plant-art sale in Rockford. I put it back in the woods, but I was never happy with it because it sort of got lost back there. I thought it too pretty to hide, so this year the tomatoes that will be planted in the containers, will be trained to grow up this trellis. In the fall, I'm planning to cut back our clematis growing on the clothes line prop and replace that wooden trellis with this one. 



This is where the birch tree was a week ago. I originallly had hostas planted there and they did so well and really filled in this little garden. They were cut down and trampled when they removed the tree, so I sat there the other night and trimmed away the ragged leaves and just left the perfect ones. Hopefully they will start growing and fill in. I planted some lavender, thyme, and rosemary here as well. I planted a new stonecrop sedum next to a big rock. I'm leaving the space in front of the statue for spring bulbs. I still have lilies to put in the ground. Funny thing...we dug out the lilies before the tree removal and just laid them aside. I had forgotten about them...found them again and they hadn't wilted. Here they were all perked up and growing tall. No soil over them just lying there in the shade...growing. What hardy plants these are. This garden will be filled in by fall...I'm trying to be patient and not plant a bunch of things now...I would like it to be simple and a relaxing place to sit.
 Turning the corner from this little garden is our clematis trellis. There are several planted there. I'm hoping that they do better with the tree gone. They have been kind of sparse with their blooms in the past few years. I think that this combination is pretty.
Keeping on down the side of the house...the ajuga is blooming. It is easy to control. I just keep it in bounds by pulling the plants out as they invade the bed. I put the pulled plants in the woods. I have herbs planted in this spot and also Japanese anemones.
Looking up toward the front of the house...we look at this garden in a different way. The copper bird bath was a gift from my daughter. Now you can see the clematis trellis and a glimpse of Mary's garden beyond.
Well, that's about it for this side of the house. I'll keep posting pictures as the Mary's garden grows. Joe put a spot light on the statue last night and he also fixed the lantern lights across the front garden. We like to go out at night and look at them from the street. 

Just these simple things feeds my desire to do gardening. I've slowed way down this year, but since I planted things close together...sort of the cottage way.. and with the heavy mulch....there are few weeds to be pulled and also a big bonus...that I don't have to buy plants...just a few for color in containers. I would suggest to gardeners in their 50's to start planting  things close and to think about seasons. Plant things that will bloom all through the growing year. I guess something told me a few years ago...Balisha, you aren't going to be able to do all this...you had better plan for the future.So glad I listened.
Balisha 

8 comments:

Barbee' said...

It is all looking very tidy, colorful, and pretty!

Lona said...

Your garden looks lovely Balisha. The ajuga border looks so pretty. The spot where the tree was will be fun to add seasonal plantings for you to look at and not have to spend too much time working in. I adore the copper birdbath. How lovely. Have a wonderful week.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I agree with all you shared
but---I have not slowed down to now in my middle 70's.
50's to early :)
Love that trellis....

Balisha said...

Just remembering how it was with raising my kids. The day would find me caring for them, doing the housework, doing the gardening, an outside job doing it all....it seemed. I can't possibly do all of that now....so I have slowed down. I think that maybe 50 is too early too, but that could be the time to start doing the gardens over a bit. Changing things, so that in old age there isn't the same physical work that there once was. A few years ago...I could work a whole day in the yard...go in and eat a meal and then come out again at night and work till dark. I can't possibly do that anymore...besides I am not that driven now. I don't strive for a perfect yard anymore....just one that is well taken care of...and I can still do that.
Balisha

Diana LaMarre said...

I can see why you would want that lovely trellis up closer where you can enjoy it.

Your gardens look so nice and neat.

I am in my 50's and I am beginning to reconstruct my huge gardens so that I can maintain them when I get older. As you said, I, too, used to be able to easily work 12 hours a day on the weekends, but I now find that I am not interested in doing that much garden work. An hour or two a day is about all I want to do now while I am working outside the home for 40+ hours a week.

I love ajuga, too! I think it is the best ground cover. I am now trying to get it established in front of my new white porch.

Amber Star said...

I'm pushing 70 and have started planting plants that come back every year. Planting some pansies in the fall/winter is not too hard and we love having the bright colors in the winter. I planted some mums where my veg garden has been and they LOVE it there. They bloom in the fall and in the spring. I planted some marigolds and princess feathers and some red lantana around them. It is the favorite part of our garden. One less thing to worry with and not much trouble at all.

Your clematis are very pretty. I'm not sure if they grow well here. It gets sooo hot in Texas, and last year was an award winning drought plus heat year.

Jezibels said...

I love the copper birdbath! Im in your same zone, Im in a burb of Chicago! Hey how bout this super weather we have this week! Today was gorgeous and after all that rain everything is really growing fast!

garden girl said...

Your gardens are looking lovely, Balisha!

That trellis is fantastic! I can see why you'd want to move it closer and be able to see it more readily. What a great gift!