A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

What Can I Say About Today?


What can I say about today? It's a beautiful but chilly day today. I woke with the birds and couldn't wait till my housework was done to go out and do a few things. There were little twig like branches to be picked up. I use a light plastic rake and pull them into piles...then sit on my green chair and put them in a big cardboard box. We will dump the box contents in the woods later. We already have garbage cans full to be dumped too. Our River Birch is causing so many problems. There are little branches down every time the wind blows.....and lately that has been most days. We made the decision just this morning to have the tree removed. Someone is coming tonight to give us an estimate. With Joe and I both having back problems...we find that it just takes too  much out of us to pick up after it all the time. The seeds in the spring and leaves in the fall get in our gutters and then they need to be cleaned. It's a beautiful tree and I always hate to see trees like this one destroyed, but it has to be done.
After picking up the branches, I meander over to the side garden. The bleeding heart, that was just planted, is doing well. We had a good rain, so it should be OK. I had my long handled clippers with me (I looked like a pack mule) so I clipped the ajuga to keep it in bounds. The clematis vines are doing pretty good on this side of the house. They will be out of the shade with the tree gone. They'll enjoy that :)
Going around to the back of the house, I noticed a couple of things. Last year, I didn't remove the dead lily of the valley leaves...just left them there through the winter. The new lily of the valleys are nice and thick and the dead leaves are not to be seen. This is true for my Lady's Mantle too. The new plant material simply covers all the old dead leaves. I won't be cutting these back anymore.
 I sit on the chairs at the bottom of the deck and see where my tomatoes will be planted. I have some large containers for those. I'm planning on asking someone to remove the big trellis from the woods and put it at an angle...behind the containers. I'm going to train the tomatoes to climb up the trellis....tying them as they grow.When in town yesterday, I notice a truck at the grocery delivering the tomato plants. I decided, on that super windy day, to buy my tomatoes and take care of them till it's time to plant. Probably a month away. I figure that I would buy them in town anyway, so instead of them not getting good care at the grocery, I will do it myself and maybe they will be healthier and do better.Besides I had first choice as to the varieties I will plant.
 I glance at the woods and decide to go back and sit for a while.I worked so hard on this project of clearing the woods. It was simply a place full of weeds, barbed wire fencing, some trash in the way back, and little scrubby trees and tons of garlic mustard.I kept looking at it and Joe asked me to not go back there...it wasn't safe. I wanted to have a place that was not so manicured....as the rest of the yard. A place for me to sit and enjoy watching nature.As I have grown older...I am letting it go.  It's hard to believe that something that took me so long...years...with blood, sweat and tears...can revert back to the wild in just a matter of days and weeks .It's still an enjoyable place for me to rest and visit the birds and creatures of the woods. I guess that Mother Nature knows best what the wild things enjoy. If I could only have her natural ways with the world...instead of always wanting to fix things.
Balisha

6 comments:

acorn hollow said...

you are always busy bad back or not. We need a few trees taken down but it will have to wait.
I too am going to plant a small garden of veggies I have not done much in the way of veggies so it will interesting.
Cathy

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Thinking of you
and traveling along with you.
Love from the woods...

Sue said...

We have a wooded area behind us and that is where I take the twigs and other garden leftovers. Better that Mother Nature takes care of it than putting it in the landfill. Gardening and yard upkeep is a lot of work. With our new landscaping, I'm always picking little weeds out of the mulch. When we had a lawn, I didn't have to mess with that! LOL
Take care and don't overdo your bending while in the yard, Balisha. :-) Sue

Unknown said...

I'd love to be sitting there chatting with you ... sounds like a very peaceful place to enjoy.

Have a lovely eve ~
TTFN ~
Marydon

PS how did you revert back to the old blog format please.

Balisha said...

Hi Cathy...I'm sure you will be successful in your veggie garden project.They taste especially good when you grow them yourself. Then you know that they haven't been sprayed with pesticides etc.
Balisha

Hi Ernestine...So nice to hear from you. Hope you are doing well.
Balisha

Hi Sue...I remember watching your progress in changing your yard. It seems no matter what you do a new set of problems can arise. Your yard is beautiful...I know you enjoy it.
Balisha

Balisha said...

Hi Marydon,
I answered you separately here. About going back to the old blogger.
I clicked on template first.
Went to the top of the page and clicked on the button next to
Backup/Restore. Then clicked on Old Blogger Interface.
It worked for me. I have since decided to try the new interface...just have to grin and bear it. I am finally used to the new way. Good luck, Balisha