A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Father Cooks for the Women


I arrived in the Church parking lot a little late and as I opened the car door a delicious fragrance was wafting through the air. I was invited, along with many others, to a luncheon that our Priest was preparing himself. I hurried down the stairs and found at least 40 women...all sitting at tables. Our Priest was busy in the kitchen getting things ready for our lunch. It smelled delicious. He had one helper who was there to help him bring out the food. The luncheon was in honor of the women of the Church, who prepare and serve funeral lunches for the funerals at our Church. He stood in front of us and gave a little talk first. He said that our ministry was one of the most important ministries at our Church. We not only provide food, but comfort for families who are grieving. After a funeral of a loved one...what a wonderful thing to be able to gather together for a meal. Sometimes this might be a family reunion of sorts. He told us that many people come to him after the luncheons and tell him that they appreciated what our Church did for them. There are people there who don't belong to our Church, some are Catholics who have lost their way, some who have not been in a Church for a long time. He said that once in a while a person will come up to him and ask about becoming a Catholic....all because of a comforting meal in a friendly Church. He led us in a prayer and then went back to the kitchen and brought out the food. He made the food himself and served it. We started with a tossed salad with apples, craisins, walnuts, mixed greens and a vinaigrette. Next were huge pans of skinless, boneless, chicken breasts...baked in a butter sauce with Parmesan cheese I think. Then big pans of a baked potato casserole. Loaves of fresh breads were on the table. He said that he was not able to bake the bread, but he would next time. I believe him. There was coffee and iced tea. When we were finished with the main meal...he served little cups with assorted sherbets and a cookie stuck on top. Being a woman, It was unusual for me to sit and not hop up to get something. We women have a tendency to always want to take care of people. We all had time today...to visit and laugh together without a care in the world. It was a first for us. He said in so many words that today we could relax and have someone else serve us. He's new at our Church and from what I have observed in the last couple of months...I find that I like this down to earth, hard working man...who served the ladies lunch today.
Balisha

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Bless that wonderful priest! I love our priest so I take goodies to him ...

TTFN ~
Hugs,
Marydon

~ GIVEAWAY ends 3/30 ~

Judy said...

He is right about the meal after a funeral. I have never liked them--seemed like a party and I just wanted to go home with my grief--but I was amazed at the warmth of the church who had Fred's luncheon. A church I had never attended, but...because of the warmth of the pastor--I have been too every Sunday since January 7th.