A Sentiment

God knew what He was doing when He sent a gentle breeze and brought a lovely butterfly to set my heart at ease. The happiness of your friendship and the gentleness of your words have touched my life in special ways and now I feel assured. Thank you for your loyalty and for reading everyday. I only hope you find things to make a happy day.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Does Anybody Really Know What Day It Is?

Picture Credit...Debra Campbell

I was thinking about leap year, when I awoke this morning. Leap Day is the day that women are allowed to ask a man to marry them. We celebrated by having Sadie Hawkins Dances at school, when I was growing up. The girls could ask that shy guy to a dance...so today... men it is your lucky day :) Get ready! Leap day is the day for shy bachelors everywhere to stay behind closed doors, because turn about is fair play and the girls are on the prowl.

I looked out the window when I got up this morning. The landscape took on a different look today. Rain and even thunder during the night....then rising temps started things changing. The trees in the woods look a little different. Not actually any green showing, but the little leaf buds give the branches a plump look from afar. Soon the branches will take on a greenish sort of hazy look. It's a very windy day today. It seems that Mother Nature isn't paying attention to the calendar...tomorrow is March 1st and the winds will howl... with it coming in like a lion maybe this year. I opened the door and stuck my head out...the air smelled different...or is it my imagination working overtime? The squirrels are in both feeders, front and back, hanging on to those swinging trays of seed for dear life. Seeing me they hunker down and start wolfing down that favorite suet and seed before I can shag them away. People walking at a slant...I imagine the wind is still chilly. Dogs pulling their owners happy to be out in the fresh air...now where's that rabbit. Right now I spy a nuthatch on my Ash tree. He's a clown...always walking upside down, checking the bark for goodies to eat. He makes a mad dash for the feeder for just one seed.
Ah, the day is starting out just about perfect. My day will include a brisk walk in this fresh air. This is what we've been waiting for...Mother Nature....bring it on.
Balisha

PS...Yesterday I gave an address for the Eagle cam at Decorah, Iowa. I watched off and on for most of the day...just leaving it on my screen, so I could peek in anytime I wanted. When I last watched the bird had 3 eggs laid. One egg was broken, but she was taking care of it just like the others. I'm just going to tune in to watch some more.If you have the sound turned up, you can hear other birds chirping and the wind blowing. Today she is getting rocked in her nest by the strong winds. I think this is fascinating.

2 comments:

Diana LaMarre said...

I remember Sadie Hawkins dances. I don't think they do them anymore. Girls today don't hesitate to ask a boy out. :)

We are getting another heavy wet snow storm today. Six inches so far--icy roads--I was very happy to get home from work so I can just stay inside until tomorrow morning.

Judy said...

Ah yes--the Sadie Hawkins day dances--I was way too shy to ask even the shyest boy. Spring is just around the corner--isn't it? I long for days when I can open doors and windows and smell the new earth.